• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 312BL hydraulic problem. Not prv.

Wilj

Hi all

First post on here but have been viewing some threads.

Cat 312BL 1999 model. First the return filter clogging light came on. Reset it foolishly, carried on for another ten min and as i was tracking it started blowing thick black smoke. I changed the filter, topped up oil, found that the lid to the breather thing on back of engine had popped off so fitted that back on. Checked engine oil, was empty, filled it up to mark.

Checked and changed all other filters. Seen a thread on here about PRV solenoid. Tightend it right down and it stopped bogging engine down but V slow hydraulic speed. Checked voltage and its around 8v and stays there.

Ive replaced the prv and checked the fault codes. Only one came up 4103 (proportional reducing valve circuit is open) also i checked service code 16 20. Capsule filter clogging switch displayed on. The notes told me that on if clogged. Ive taken that switch off at bottom of tank and theres a prong sticking out that doesnt move which the switch unit sits on with a switch inside. I can unplug that switch and dash tells me that capsule filter clogging switch is off but warning light shows up. Still no difference in operation of machine.

Also getting the return filter back in was a right pain. Wasnt easy.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Wil

koecon

Occupation
Heavy equipment consultant
I have some questions,

1. What is the machine serial number?
2. On the PRV you TIGHTENED WHAT RIGHT DOWN?
3. The 8 volts was at the PRV? With it connected? Did not change with engine speed changes?

If you disconnect the PRV and put a jumper wire across the harness connector the code should change to shorted!

Wilj

1: 9fs00620
2: the adjusting screw on top of the prv solenoid.
3: the 8 volts was at the prv with it plugged in, not changing when functions were being operated.

Ill try putting a jumper wire over and see if it comes up with that then.