• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 3126

dan7

I have a frieghtliner with a 3126. It just started shuting down at low idle in 1st or 2nd gear. I took fuel filter off and it was half full. I filled it up and it started. About an hour later it died again. I Did same thing and it started. Is it fuel filter or something else?

Oxbow

Other more mechanical types will no doubt help you shortly, but it sure sounds like perhaps you are sucking air somewhere. Cracked pick up tube in fuel tank perhaps. Were you low on fuel when this happened?

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Perhaps someone else would chime in here... I believe the on road application 3126 motors have pressure regulator trouble... Could have my wires crossed tho.

Shimmy1

Just so they have the info (they are all going to ask for it) truck VIN, Engine Serial, Arrangement number, I think there is one more but drawing a blank right now. I would guess you're going to have to snap a gauge on and see what the pressure is doing when it dies. Without a pressure reading we're just throwing darts.

dan7

I will get those numbers. Thanks. And check for loose fittings

Cutterjohn

Without the engine serial number I'm going to take a wild guess and say it could be the fuel return valve at the rear of the cylinder head. See attached, highlighted area's. 3126.jpg

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
Need more info! I've found when the fuel pressure regulator leaks it will cause hard starting after sitting overnight and slight loss of power, at low idle it doesn't need to be much fuel pressure to run it would just have no power. I've had lift pumps fail and seen almost 0psi in the fuel rail and it was still running, although it didn't have enough power to move the truck in 1st gear! If it's an electronic 3126B I'm leaning towards engine wiring harness rubbed through behind the HEUI pump on the corner of the intake manifold, seen that many times shutting engine down for no apparent reason. If it is electronic are you getting any trouble codes/engine light?

Knepptune

If it was an electronic problem the fuel filter would stay full. Gotta be a fuel delivery problem.

lantraxco

Plugged suction or air leak somewhere.... Plugged suction will cause it to pull air when it otherwise normally would not.

dan7

I found this number on engine. Ycpxh0442hrk. Hope this helps.

Cutterjohn

I found this number on engine. Ycpxh0442hrk. Hope this helps.

This looks like an OEM# (Freightliner) the engine serial# should start with something like this, 1WM, the CAT prefix is usually a number followed by two letters. Call your Freightliner dealer and have him get you the build listing the installed engine, hopefully that will have the engine serial#

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
For the engine Serial Number you need to be looking either for a stamped data plate on the LH side of the cylinder block just forward of the flywheel housing. This plate will contain details of the engine model, the Serial Number, & the Arrangement Number.
Alternatively look for a stick-on film on top of the valve cover. That will contain the same information as the plate on the block but additionally will have information regarding engine power, fuel settings, max. operating altitude, etc, etc.

The Serial Number in total is eight characters. The first three can be letters or a combination of letters and digits. This is known as the Serial Number prefix which identifies the engine "family". Examples of the prefix for different models of 3126 engine would be 1WM, BKD, or G3E.
Each of the last five characters will be digits (0-9) and is the engine Serial Number within the family.

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
If it was an electronic problem the fuel filter would stay full. Gotta be a fuel delivery problem.

I have seen many primary fuel filters only "half full" when you pull them, especially if they are mounted up high, we don't even know what filter he pulled. Not enough info. I have never seen a 3126 just shut down if it sucks air without stumbling and knocking.

dan7

I got all the numbers. Thanks for all the help. Serial -8yl92142. Ar-197-1131. Core ar-173-1332. Oem-c01-00023-309. Famliy-Ycpxh0442hrk. Also the filter I pulled was the only filter and it is up high mid way back on the engine.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
8YL92142 is a 3126B rated at 230BHP @ 2200RPM for Freightliner usage. It was built in November 2000. This is what the fuel pressure regulator looks like on this particular engine. Same place on the engine but a slightly different Part Number in this case.

3126B Fuel Press Regulator.png

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I got all the numbers. Thanks for all the help. Serial -8yl92142. Ar-197-1131. Core ar-173-1332. Oem-c01-00023-309. Famliy-Ycpxh0442hrk. Also the filter I pulled was the only filter and it is up high mid way back on the engine.
Are you 100% sure there is no other filter. I know there were a lot of these freightliners without a primary filter but I've seen some where they have been added. I have even seen an inline style replaceable filter under the cab on some.