• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 311fll Thumb plumbing

dscont

Does anyone have a way to search a serial # for me to see if this machine has the valving for a hydraulic thumb.
Thanks
20240110_161150.jpg20240110_161150.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
This machine was originally built with a "shovel crane" option. I'm not at all familiar with that.
It does not appear, to me anyway, to be plumbed for a thumb. Whether some of the Aux plumbing could be adapted for a thumb I don't know.

dscont

This machine was originally built with a "shovel crane" option. I'm not at all familiar with that.
It does not appear, to me anyway, to be plumbed for a thumb. Whether some of the Aux plumbing could be adapted for a thumb I don't know.
thanks for your help

8V71

according to serial number, Did not see the plumbing either. Main control valve called out a (work tool) spool but unsure that is the proper controls you need for the thumb. (two way flow) publication i05729485 Media number KENR9998-01 System identification shows how to identify tool control system on machine.

dscont

according to serial number, Did not see the plumbing either. Main control valve called out a (work tool) spool but unsure that is the proper controls you need for the thumb. (two way flow) publication i05729485 Media number KENR9998-01 System identification shows how to identify tool control system on machine.
thanks

dscont

Thanks.
Looking through the computer screen and controls it appears this machine is set up as a crane also..
I can actually see how much weight I have on the boom and stick.
Also appears to have no controls on handles or floor to operate another circuit.
I do appreciate everyone's help

TallDan

Thanks.
Looking through the computer screen and controls it appears this machine is set up as a crane also..
I can actually see how much weight I have on the boom and stick.
Also appears to have no controls on handles or floor to operate another circuit.
I do appreciate everyone's help
I didn’t have any controls for a thumb on my cat either. It was a good amount of work and money. Had to replace the right joystick with one that had buttons to operate the thumb. Then mount pilot solenoids under the cab. Take a constant feed of pilot pressure from a nearby pressure block and run that to the solenoids. Then run hydraulic hoses from the solenoids to the pilot ports on the auxiliary main control valve. Then add the proper pressure reliefs to the main control valve auxiliary circuit ports. Then you run the lines down the boom and stick from the main control valve. Then you need to identify the ecm outputs on a connector and wire that to the solenoids. Then you set the thumb pressure and flow manually on the main control valve relief that you added. It’s a mechanical/electrical setup. So program through the display for the two way flow and use the outputs to control the solenoids but you’re not provided anything else other than the auxiliary circuit on the main control valve. I’m sure there many different machine setups but that’s how I did it on my 2016 cat.

dscont

I didn’t have any controls for a thumb on my cat either. It was a good amount of work and money. Had to replace the right joystick with one that had buttons to operate the thumb. Then mount pilot solenoids under the cab. Take a constant feed of pilot pressure from a nearby pressure block and run that to the solenoids. Then run hydraulic hoses from the solenoids to the pilot ports on the auxiliary main control valve. Then add the proper pressure reliefs to the main control valve auxiliary circuit ports. Then you run the lines down the boom and stick from the main control valve. Then you need to identify the ecm outputs on a connector and wire that to the solenoids. Then you set the thumb pressure and flow manually on the main control valve relief that you added. It’s a mechanical/electrical setup. So program through the display for the two way flow and use the outputs to control the solenoids but you’re not provided anything else other than the auxiliary circuit on the main control valve. I’m sure there many different machine setups but that’s how I did it on my 2016 cat.
Thanks
that sounds like a lot of work.
I think I'll put a manual thumb on
I have 2 others with hydraulic thumbs so not a huge deal just would have been nice