• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 311B weak hydraulics

Theralfinator

97 Cat 311B 8GR00134
I finally got a service manual and pressure gauges for my machine to hopefully figure out what's going on with the weak hydraulics.
Cycle times for all implement functions were well within specs.
Relief valves seem to have been turned up previously. Spec is 4350 Psi for all implement line circuits and they were set around 4700 Psi.

The pumps had no problems building and maintaining pressure, but the hydraulics still didn't have as much power as when I first bought the machine last year.
Ambient temps were in the high 50°s F so we could only get the oil up to around 140°F . The lack of power is a lot worse when the oil gets hotter than that, which it does fairly easily on hot days.
We didn't have the right gauges to test fuel pressure or intake manifold pressure. Does anyone know what the manifold pressure is supposed to be? I've read the manual a couple times and haven't found that spec.
Also, I've read that there's a screen in one of the banjo bolts in the fuel system, can someone tell me which one? My manual said there was a filter on the suction line of the lift pump, so I took that hose off but didn't find a screen. I didn't dare take apart any of the banjo bolt connections since I didn't have any new copper washers to replace any worn ones with. The suction line I checked was just a hose clamp over a metal nipple type of fitting.

I'd love any tips or ideas anyone could give me.

Bluox

If there is a screen it will be in the banjo fitting on the pump and check the fittings on the water separator if you have one .
Bob

Theralfinator

The banjo on the main injection pump coming from the filter? Or the banjo on the lift pump going to the filter? The parts manual seems to list different washers for those 2 bolts so I want to make sure I pick up the right ones.

TVA

Is the problem engine bogging down? Those pressures don’t look too bad.

Bluox

The banjo on the main injection pump coming from the filter? Or the banjo on the lift pump going to the filter? The parts manual seems to list different washers for those 2 bolts so I want to make sure I pick up the right ones.
The fitting on the transfer pump Hose from the tank.
Bob

Theralfinator

Is the problem engine bogging down? Those pressures don’t look too bad.
Yes, but it wasn't bogging down all that much last weekend when I took those pressures. Last time it was on a job and it was really hot it was bogging down a whole lot more. At one point I was almost positive the engine was about to stall out trying to track up an incline. Not an insanely steep incline either. The tri axle went up and down that same incline a bunch of times without any problems.

The fitting on the transfer pump Hose from the tank.
Bob
Hmm, that's the hose I already checked but it wasn't a banjo fitting. It was just a rubber hose pushed onto a metal nipple with a hose clamp holding it. This machine doesn't have the water separator. Could that be why it's different?

TVA

Yes, but it wasn't bogging down all that much last weekend when I took those pressures. Last time it was on a job and it was really hot it was bogging down a whole lot more. At one point I was almost positive the engine was about to stall out trying to track up an incline. Not an insanely steep incline either. The tri axle went up and down that same incline a bunch of times without any problems.

Hmm, that's the hose I already checked but it wasn't a banjo fitting. It was just a rubber hose pushed onto a metal nipple with a hose clamp holding it. This machine doesn't have the water separator. Could that be why it's different?

Just a thought! Check PRV on account of hydraulic part leaking ( since it temperature dependent), engine speed sensor and boost pressure. Just a thought!

Theralfinator

Just a thought! Check PRV on account of hydraulic part leaking ( since it temperature dependent), engine speed sensor and boost pressure. Just a thought!
There is something leaking in the pump compartment, and I thought it looked like there was some fresh oil on the top of that valve one time a couple weeks ago. How would I need to go about checking it?
Still haven't found out what I'm supposed to be getting for boost in that thing.

TVA

Another thought - do you have oil leak between engine and main pump?

TVA

There is something leaking in the pump compartment, and I thought it looked like there was some fresh oil on the top of that valve one time a couple weeks ago. How would I need to go about checking it?
Still haven't found out what I'm supposed to be getting for boost in that thing.

I just posted the question moment ago, if it between engine and pump - check for excessive case pressure.

TVA

I just posted the question moment ago, if it between engine and pump - check for excessive case pressure.

Or it could be bleed plugs on top of the pump - same thing.

Theralfinator

I guess I could clean out the whole pump compartment and check it again after running it for a little bit. Right now there's so much nastiness in there that it impossible to trace any leaks.

TVA

Are you referring to an internal leak? Or actually leaking out of the housing?

On these ( as far as I know ) there’s no case drain, if pump leaks internally it will result in high case pressure, the hotter it gets the more load it will put on engine! Usually high case pressure pushes the seals out, but if it found weaker spot at plugs then that’s where it’ll go.

TVA

Is your hydraulic tank and suction hose looks normal or bloated? Does sight glass leak oil?
Did you measured your oil temp in the tank? How hot was your pump?

Last edited:

TVA

Actually this guessing game is all wrong! You need to really find out what is your fuel and boost pressure is, possibly compression too! Until then you and us will be on the wild goose chase!