• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 3116

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
Got a topkick dump truck with 3116 kitty cat. Holds great oil pressure, runs as strong as you can expect it to. But after you run it a while, like a hour or more you can smell oil burning & smoke coming out exhaust. Could this be seals in the turbo or is it something internal in the engine. Like I said I runs great & holds really good oil pressure.

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
It's like a puff of smoke not all the time, just when you pull out with a heavy load or every now in then when turbo is spooled up. Not constant smoking

Dutchcat

Did you check the endplay on the turboshaft?,
Maybe wiggle the valvestems a little to see if there is a lot of play, or worn valveseals

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
No I haven't checked anything yet. I was just wanting others opinions on it first, I'm by far not a diesel mechanic. Thanks for your help. Also the joints in the exhaust a real oily too.

Dutchcat

Could be both, turbo and/or valveguides/seals

Goodluck with your machine, really like the 3116 engines

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
Ok thanks Dutchcat for your input, atleast I know somethings to look for now. Thanks for your help Brandon_M

Dutchcat

Let me know when you have found the cause, kinda cureous

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
What would that be a sign of going wrong? I haven't noticed it, I check the oil often when I run it. Although I haven't actually sniff tested the dipstick. Lol

lantraxco

LOL, I'm not familiar with the 3116's internals but I have seen CAT engines that developed a fuel leak into the basement and when full enough with diesel would start to suck fuel into the intake through the breather system. Probably can't happen on that engine, but I developed a habit of sniff testing every dipstick I pull... the sound of a runaway four stroke makes a screaming gimmy sound like a weed wacker in terms of fear and panic!