• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 308C CR alternator removal process

Catmando68

Does anyone know the service procedure for removing the alternator on a 2003 308CCR excavator? I’ve got a Mitsubishi 4M4 engine. I get a battery light on startup along with a squealing noise. The belt is in good order. The unit will continue to squeal until I rev the engine several times and the alternator eventually rumbles to life. Squeal stops and alternator works. I have yet to determine if the unit has a clutch pulley. The alternator is tightly positioned close to the counterweight and radiator shroud. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Catmando68

Just checked. Seems a little loose. It will take some effort to get to the adjustment. I’ll adjust and report back. The weather is not helping me right now. Thanks.

Catmando68

Just checked. Seems a little loose. It will take some effort to get to the adjustment. I’ll adjust and report back. The weather is not helping me right now. Thanks.

Catmando68

Update! Thank you Nige and Heymccal. After gaining access to the corroded alternator belt tensioner, I decided to replace the existing belts with Caterpillar part 205-6670. Now the machine starts w no squeaking and no battery warning light. I appreciate your help. It’s great to know that there is a CAT community

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Nice to hear you solved your issue. A good idea to fit new belts as often tightening old ones can result in a belt breakage soon after. I hope you followed HMC's advice and checked the condition of the tensioner/pulley bearings while you were in there.