• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 308 Boom will not move

Hogfarm

This is what I have, the read out comes in handy when it was working, but it is metric,it controlled the depth of cut. The other pictures are what we believe are the valves that are controlled by the DRO, As you can see I'm thinking about bypassing the entire system unless I can get it to work.This machine is just used on my property for my saw mill or a neighbor that is close enough to walk it over

Jaxo

Could the piston inside the cylinder be stuck? Remove the bottom hose to
relieve oil pressure. Be careful; it can move down quickly if the hose
get off.

Hogfarm

Well today
There are 7 hydraulic lines hooked to a manifold, and I was attempting to bypass the manifold. I changed the filters, but I only had enough fittings to bypass 3 lines, now the boom is working, I have more fitting on order hope to get them tomorrow.....so we will see. Would still like to find out what happened and fix it

Hogfarm

All 7 lines have be bypassed from the manifold, everything works,but now as the boom is raised the stick wants to creep out

Having a very similar issue with the same grey market machine. Boom, dipper and parallel offset are not working. My solenoids on that manifold you bypassed all have varying voltages to them, some as low as 4v. Did you ever come up with any other definitive solutions, or still running the manifold bypass?

Hogfarm

Never did get it fixed right,winter hit. I bought the machine to use on my property,so it will sit till spring. I'm sure something came apart in the hydraulic system and is still floating around.

Hogfarm I got mine working properly. I don't really understand why it worked, but I put everything back the way it was originally, confirmed nothing was working. Then I started bypassing one circuit at a time, confirming it was doing what I expected between each one. First boom up, then boom down, dipper out, dipper in, then the parallel offset boom circuits. The big difference this time was that I got actual #6 o-ring face caps and capped off the hose fittings on the manifold, I left the return line and the center unmarked valve with its hoses hooked up. I did unplug all 7 solenoids.

For some reason that did it. Everything works and the dipper no longer moves out when I raise the boom. The only thing I can think is that there is some sensor or another hose somewhere on that manifold block I cant see that needs to be pressurized.

Anyway, it works. Hopefully that works for you too. Easy fix.

No, when I totally bypassed the manifold I had the same problem you did; when I raised the boom the stick moved out.

This time I left the center unmarked hoses, and what I believe is the return line, the one on the outboard end of the manifold block. Also, rather than just using the little plastic caps to cap off the manifold outlets I got the proper o-ring face caps to seal them.

So I only bypassed the 6 marked circuits, boom up/down, stick in/out, and parallel offset boom left/right. I left the three remaining hoses on the manifold.

Hogfarm

Can you send me a little diagram? Or should I just start over, hook them all back up then find the 6 hoses one by one?

Sorry I didn't get this yesterday. Pics are pretty self explanatory, however I should explain that I unplugged the electrical connections from all of the solenoids, and wrapped them up in electrical tape just to keep them clean. You'll see that labeled in one of the pictures. Caps are #6 o-ring face.

Ran the machine for about 4 hours yesterday, worked great. No issues.

Attachments

• IMG_5312.jpg
    IMG_5312.jpg
    791 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5361.jpg
    IMG_5361.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5362.jpg
    IMG_5362.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 22
Awesome! I’m glad you didn’t have to go digging through the hydraulic system looking for a problem. Wish I could tell you exactly why this worked, but it does, so I’m gonna roll with it!

Hogfarm

My internet has been out since about 15 mins before the super bowl, but it does seem to work fine, and I'm going to leave it be