• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 303 cr excavator burned cabin

octo

Hello guys i need some help i am in the process of purchasing a cat excavator 303 cr 2013 model this is going for cheap due to the fact that i need to replace the hole cabin as it has fought on fire and it all needs to be replaced.

engine is fine the damage was done from the floor pan upwards,

my question is how much is a rough estimate on how much this will cost to repair.
second question will i be able to instal an older model cab on and if i do this will i have any issues?
dose any one know anyone that has the same cab for sale ?
last question for know this is the identification number i have for the unit is this in fact a 2013 model or 2011? CAT0303CVBXT04649

thank you for your help

voltage1256

Occupation
Student Pilot - Business Owner
Hello guys i need some help i am in the process of purchasing a cat excavator 303 cr 2013 model this is going for cheap due to the fact that i need to replace the hole cabin as it has fought on fire and it all needs to be replaced.

my question is how much is a rough estimate on how much this will cost to repair.
second question will i be able to instal an older model cab on and if i do this will i have any issues?
last question for know this is the identification number i have for the unit is this in fact a 2013 model or 2011? CAT0303CVBXT04649

thank you for your help

2013 I'm assuming it a 303E CR. In that case it has a COMPASS computer system. I couldn't even begin to quote you on replacing the cab, and the components, but... You are looking at a REALLY hefty penny. I just got my 305E CR on Friday and have been reading the manual. Between... computers, wires, harnesses, cab itself, install time, anything that might have been damaged by heat you are going to want to replace.

Not sure how extensive the damage is/ was... but the firefighter in me is saying stay away.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums octo!:drinkup

I agree with voltage1256, in this day of computer controlled machines I would run away from it unless it's free.:cool2 That's a parts machine and is valuable to someone in the parting out business but not for one that wants to rebuild it.

lantraxco

It's being sold because it was cheaper for the insurance to buy a new machine than to fix the burned one. Before the digital age of iron you could do a lot of "imagineering" and end up with a functioning machine but no longer. I vote with the panel, give it a pass.

Cmark

thank you for your help

Last thing's first, it was built Jan 2010.

Chances of finding a used cab are approximately zero.

Chances of installing an older model cab are exactly zero.

Rough estimate to repair? If you can strip the cab, sandblast, paint and refit, 10-15K in parts. If the cab is not salvageable, 20-25K in parts. Plus whatever you value your labour at.

Whatever happens, it will never look like new again and will always fetch less on the secondhand market.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
You will have new Money into it by the time you are done and have many gremlins to deal with forever....Run away from it and keep looking. It's nothing more than parts now....they totaled it for reason...the reason is the cost to repair it...

octo

thank you guys much appreciate your help and harsh but accurate advisee, some times you see a good deal and you get blinded by everything else
thanks again and i will keep looking.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
thank you guys much appreciate your help and harsh but accurate advisee, some times you see a good deal and you get blinded by everything else
thanks again and i will keep looking.

We say it like it is.;)

Best of luck in the search!

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
Look at your local cat dealer in their rental fleet that is where I got my 304cr , low hour and 2buckets for a reasonable price .

rocknrabbit

Just noticed this excavator was sold for $A7000 on fleabay 3 days ago, however its now been listed again!
Apart from the computor on a possible common rail engine, what other electronic systems would prevent a relatively straitforward repair on this late model cat. The photos seem to indicate hydraulic pilot valving, rather than electric, I could be wrong.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Just noticed this excavator was sold for $A7000 on fleabay 3 days ago, however its now been listed again!
Apart from the computor on a possible common rail engine, what other electronic systems would prevent a relatively straitforward repair on this late model cat. The photos seem to indicate hydraulic pilot valving, rather than electric, I could be wrong.

Did the auction house or owner try bidding it up and get caught. I see imaginary bids quite often on the net, no different than at live auctions. Of course we will never know.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Did the auction house or owner try bidding it up and get caught. I see imaginary bids quite often on the net, no different than at live auctions. Of course we will never know.

Last live auction I went to was for a bridge company shutting down, lots of iron and small tools. Noticed when they were selling some nice small dozers that the live bidding wasn't bringing what they were worth, low and behold there would be an "internet" bid at the last moment to push the price up.