• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 301.8c won't turn

Mcgoo

Occupation
HVAC
Having a problem with an 2006 Cat 301.8C that I just bought at an auction. Seems like everything is working OK with the exception of the tracks. When I engage both tracks at the same time it moves forward and backwards with no problems. When I try and move the tracks interdependently they look like the want to move but are just too weak... The only way I can get it to turn is if I am already moving in a direction and let off of one of the leavers. Anyone out there have an idea were to start?

Bob/Ont

I think the swivel is leaking, try to counter rotate(one forward one reverse) and see if it does better. It might steer when cold but not after you travel 100 yards.
Later Bob

Mcgoo

Occupation
HVAC
Jesse yes the machine was idled up. Bob I just got the machine home and checked it out. It will turn in low speed but not in high. I don't know if that makes a difference with the troubleshooting? It counter rotates in low no problem.

Bob/Ont

May not be a swivel, might be pump control. Low needs much less force to turn than high. A hydraulic drive track machine needs about 5 times as much force to turn as drive straight. When you turn does the engine lug down, if not the main or port relief valves may be set too low or faulty.
Later Bob

Mcgoo

Occupation
HVAC
It doesn't bog down at all so the relief valves make the most sense. Not sure if this is related but the pump seems to squeal when I first start up the excavator until I engage the hydraulics.

Killbox Alpha

Following...I have one of these as well and I had someone complain of the same issue. I'd like to see what you find out.

ih100

Not sure if this isn't just the design. I've just been on one with 600 hrs and it is gutless turning in high speed, no problems in low. May be some thing they all do.

AJL

Occupation
heavy diesel mechanic
Pretty much all minis do this run fine in high but won't turn very well.
In high they kick up the flow to the travel motors but at the expense of pressure so the motors have less torque in high compared to low speed

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As above. The major reduction in torque from the travel motors in high speed severely limits the turning capability. Especially with the "press to operate" floor switch for the high speed travel it's easy to let go of the switch after travelling in high speed to drop the travel circuit into low speed for turning. You can even switch between the two when the machine is on the move.