• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 301.8 stick comes slowly in on its own

Kenskip1

How about reversing the hydraulic lines? This could tell you something. If the stick extends then this sounds to me like a leaking valve.

Last edited:

BigWrench55

If it is anything other than bad piston seals then oil will return to the tank. Do the test again and watch your sight glass on the hydraulic tank. If the level doesn't rise then the cylinder seals are the problem. Also you can hold the cylinder in question into relief with a helper and check the temperature at both ends of the cylinder. If one side is significantly hotter than the other. Then the seals are blown. But you would hear the oil bypassing long before you could can hold it in relief long enough to get hot. My vote is cylinder packing.

pete40

Ok fellas thanks for the input. Turns out a neighbour of mine is very handy. He lent me some plugs and I have now isolated the valves in question and the stick still comes in, thus it is the seals in the cylinder. They have just now been ordered from CAT and I will set about dismantling and replacing. If I run into trouble, my neighbour will be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks everyone. I'll post up when it's fixed. Hopefully that might be tomorrow afternoon, Australia time.

jbernielh

if the main seal on the piston is a flat ring type seal check back for installation tricks..
had to deal with that on the 305

Bernie

pete40

Ok, found the problem.
IMG20210617155738.jpg
All the seals have now been done. I'll put it back on tomorrow. Should work a fair bit better now.

New seal kit from CAT had a blue seal where that orange one has failed. I'm thinking that one was not genuine.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
May be prudent to ask why the seal failed.
Kind regards
Uffex