• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 301.8 blowing fuse when put in "rabbit" mode.

GroundWorks

I have a 2004, Cat 301.8 with 1700 hrs on it. When I select "fast" travel speed it'll blow a fuse. Would anyone know if this is a common issue? I haven't taken the switch out yet to check for a live (power) wire living too close to a ground source. Normal crawl speed, no issues, but as soon as the travel switch is engaged for fast travel it blows a fuse almost right away. Not sure what exactly this fuse is for, but once it blows I lose all hydraulic power (everywhere) yet the engine will continue to run. Once the engine is shut off it will not restart, even though there is power to lights, horn, etc. Change the fuse and she'll fire up and operate as per normal. Anyone know if there were any "fast travel" speed issues with the 301.8 that would blow a fuse?
Thanks,
Gary

ablebob

Occupation
Retired. Ex IBM technician.
Gary
Sounds like the line going from the switch to the hi-lo solenoid or it's relay is contacting ground or the relay/solenoid is shorted. Seems like the fuse may be protecting that whole control circuit. If you have a wiring diagram it should not be too hard to troubleshoot.

Bob in Flatrock

Ryanrb25

If the solinoid on the valve itself is burnt out then it will draw alot of current and blow the fuse. Take the solinoid off and put a screw driver inside...flick the switch and see if it is magnetic inside. If it does then it's fine. If it doesn't and blows the fuse then it's the solinoid. This is just one option. Check all spade terminals etc...even a slightly loose terminal can cause current to sky rocket.

Localmotion

Cat 302.5 blowing hydraulic fuse

If you don't have a Wiring Schematic then drop me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll send you one.
Just a thought. Is the fuse you are using the correct amperage for the circuit..?

Hi Nige - I've also sent you a PM as am having exactly the same problem with my 302.5.

She was working fine all last week, so I had the weekend off! When I got back to the site today she cranked up fine, but blew the 10 amp hydraulic circuit fuse soon after I started tracking to the dig. I tried replacing the fuse several times (even tried 20amp) but every time it would blow within 1 minute of resuming work... I am very confused!

All the hydraulic systems were working fine last week (not sluggish that I noticed) - the only issue I've had is that the alternator packed up last week following a blow radiator hose. I had hoped that when it dried out it would come back to life, but it hasn't so I've another one on order. Until it arrives I have been having to charge the battery overnight and at lunchtimes to keep the girl working (trying to get the job finished!) - but I don't think that is the issue as this morning the battery was fully charged.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... :confused:

Thanx

Briparts

Hi Nige
I am new to this site and was trying to find a wiring diagram for a 301.8 cat that I just purchased.I got the machine home and washed it and moved it into my shop and an hour later I heard a sizzling noise then moments later smoke came from under the seat that turned to flames.moments later the machine started itself LOL,I got the fire out and had to pull the wire to the shut off solenoid to get it to stop,even after I disconnected the battery! .As it turned out the wire harness was against the exhaust and it melted through ,I was lucky I was there or my machine and shop would have burned! anyhow I am looking for a wiring diagram so I can sort out the wires and repair the damage .
thanks for now

Briparts

To identify the correct electrical schematic will require the machine Serial Number.

Thanks for your fast response ,I have the machine working again but I should still confirm correct wires .may I ask you as well if there is an adjustment for play in the swing gear?not hard to see why you see so many electrical fires on heavy equipment because of unqualified mechanics...I will try to send picture of serial number plate ,thankyou so much for your help Briparts IMG_1687[1].jpgIMG_1683[1].jpg

R.anger

Hello, I know this is a very old discussion, however I too am having this problem intermittently with my Cat 304.5, WAK01157. Wiring diagram available?

ih100

Look under the instrument panel to see if you've got corrosion or fretting issues. Corrosion is a problem on cables machines stored outside.