• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 299d2 Hydraulic coupler replace

kevman6

I have a 2018 Cat 299D2 with no response from hydraulics. Looks like I will need to replace the hydraulic coupler. Is it easier to pull the engine for this replacement, or try to pull the pump and get at it from the front? Need the pros and cons of doing it either way. Sounds like a lot of work, but has to be done, so any good input is appreciated.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well as you did not give a S/N or even a prefix can't be sure I have the correct info. That said the instructions for the model I looked up the ones for removing the pump takes 3 pages in SIS and the remove engine takes 8 pages!

Attachments

• 299D2 Engine - Remove.pdf
    666.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 299D2 Pump (Hydrostatic).pdf
    281 KB · Views: 21

kevman6

Sorry serial # Cat0299DEDX203658 2018 Also has a code 3516-11 catalyst reagent concentration. The tank is full, however could be old fluid. Cat wants 3K to do it. Wouldn't mind saving the money by doing it myself.

kevman6

Just to make clear, dealer want 3K to replace coupler. Going to do it myself, doesn't look to hard, just will be tight in there as usual.
I'll run a pressure test first to make sure I'm getting no pressure.

kevman6

The 299DXHP serial # DX203658 does respond to hydraulic controls somewhat. It drives forward and reverse and turns slowly. Lift arms seem to work OK. After moving it about 100 ft, it barely moved forward. After hitting the forward RPM bottom again, it increased to about 3 MPH. I could not get over a few RPM increase over Idle. What hydraulic pressure reading should I expect to see on a gauge? Also has a code and message saying 3516-11 Catalyst regent concentration. Would it act like this in limp mode?, and where do I start?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Is this after replacing the coupler.?

See the attachment. I suggest draining the DEF tank and filling with fresh fluid is probably a good start because I imagine you don't have the capability to test the quality which is Step 1 of the procedure. Do you have any idea how long the fluid has been in the tank.?

Attachments

• 3516 DEF Code.pdf
    192.4 KB · Views: 44

kevman6

Skidsteer was no functioning most of the summer. Purchased from auction. I really don't think the problem is hydraulic. Does act like limp mode. I will start with draining the fluid and refill. Will this code clear by itself?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I will start with draining the fluid and refill. Will this code clear by itself?
I'm not sure TBH. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Attached is the procedure to Flush the DEF tank. NOTE that only distilled water should be used to clean everything and you're supposed to replace the filter on the bottom end of the heater attachment.

upload_2021-12-10_19-31-53.pngupload_2021-12-10_19-32-41.png

Attachments

• DEF Tank Flush.pdf
    217.3 KB · Views: 32

BigWrench55

Me personally I would drain it and refill it. I’m not sure about cat. But on other def systems the quality sensor checks the quality of def after a refilling event or a certain time between refilling. If it hasn’t gone into derate you can drain it key on engine off. Once empty then turn the key off and refill with new def. That will trigger a quality check. If it has gone into derate then you will have to get cat to clear the code. Unless you know someone with bootleg E.T. With dealer level access. Def fluid has a shelf life of six months at room temperature. The hotter it is the quicker it will degrade. My advice is if you are going to have a def machine. Then buy a refractometer for def fluid. They are inexpensive and will save you the trouble of a service call. Other things that the def quality sensor doesn’t like are muddy def, aerated def and weak def.

kevman6

I know I'm getting my hopes up pretty high, but I jump started the 299D2xhp and drove it slowly into the garage (max speed maybe 1mph was all I could go}, to look further into the DEF warning 3516-11 and to begin draining and cleaning the DEF system. I put a battery charger on the machine to try to bring the dead battery back to life knowing that would be useless. After checking the machine out and still on the charger, I started the engine. The code and yellow warning message never came back on. The engine is not in degrad and now revs the RPM up and moves as normal. Is it possible the dead battery could have been causing all these problems? Charging voltage is 14V, however the battery probably has a dead cell...7V

kevman6

We will get a new battery Monday from Cat, they always seem to fit better. I just never figured the electronics would create so many symptoms and have that effect on the running of the machine if the alternator is working properly. I'm hoping that's all it was, but not getting my hopes up to high.

kevman6

The battery kept a charge overnight and the 299 started right up. The RPM would raise normally until I started to drive it, and then the yellow DEF concentration warning came back on and the machine began to run rough. Not sure what i'm dealing with for sure, but I ordered a refractometer to check the concentration. Would the yellow DEF concentration light cause the engine to run rough at higher RPM?

BigWrench55

Yellow is your last warning before red and full derate. Don't run it any more until you get fresh def into it. Depending on how many hours and years since manufactured there is a emissions warranty. And the scr system will not cause a rough running engine unless the egr valve is hung open.

kevman6

2018 machine with 1800 hrs. It does not run rough until the yellow warning comes on the screen. Then you can feel and hear it to begin running differently. I'm sure if I was to idle down at that point it would not let me increase the RPM again until I shut it off and restart it.

kevman6

I should clearify, the engine does not run rough but the RPM begins to fluctuate and vary up and down slightly.

BigWrench55

Not being real familiar with your machine. I would have to say that you are going in the first stage of derate. The next stage is full derate and cat will have to clear out the codes. You are right at the cusp of the emissions warranty. Did you drain and refill using the steps that I gave above yet?

kevman6

Not yet Will be doing that tomorrow afternoon. I have not driven it any further then 150 ft from one barn to another into our service area. I will repost as soon as it's drained and good fluid put in it and I can tell if the warning comes back on.

kevman6

We emptied the tank and filled with new DEF with the ignition on engine off The low fluid warning came on and stayed until we cycled the key, Engine was restarted and ran for a few minutes. The RPM raised automatically as if it wanted to go into regen. After about 5 minutes of the engine at high idle on it's own , it idled down and the 3516-11 warning came back on. Engine runs smoothly, but cannot idle up while warning is on. What would be the next step for us to diag.