• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 299d2 crank no start

Trent Morford

Hello,
I have a cat 2016 299d2 that cranks but won’t start. No codes showing. Has 1048 hrs Was running down the road from the neighbors and it slowly shut off in middle of the road. Suspected it to be the fuel filter but it is not the case. I have changed both, primary and fuel water separator filters and no change. I checked fuel primer pump and it has at least 13 psi. It doesn’t put out any smoke while turning over. I replaced fuel rail and high pressure pump and no change still. Haven’t found any chafed or broken wires so far. A friend hooked up to it with his cat software and it has around 4300 psi at the rail while cranking. It has good voltage while cranking. The fuel in it is the same fuel I’m running in a couple other pieces of equipment that are doing fine. Checked all the fuses and relays that I know of. I’m running out of ideas! Thanks!

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
Gee, where do I start
Serial number please. what led you to replace the manifold and high pressure pump?
Did you use a test procedure or guess?
Did you check and or replace injectors?
The High pressure pump needs to be calibrated after being fitted ? Was it?
Have you double checked that the fuel supply is ok? No air in system and check for restricted fuel filter base search for Hemccall post on this area
What timing procedure did you use to check and install pump?
Have you checked valve timing and valve clearance's?
Compression test?
Does the engine turn over easily? No parasitic load dragging down cranking speed?
Cat ET is your best friend here.
Cat ET has a number of features to help in isolating engine problems
ie Injector click tests
Throttle valve operation
Start aid
Fuel pump calibration
Actual and requested fuel rail pressure
Emissions system blocked
and many many more
Have any of these parameters been monitored with the no start?

Danny L. Thomas

I have a 2012 279C2 so I'm not sure it is close enough to compare but a few months ago, I used it one day, the next day it flat would not start. I checked fuel pump, filters, primer pump, fuel shutoff solenoid, everything I could think of. Long story short, there is a switch on the back end of the air cleaner housing that was in the fuel shutoff circuit. I was using the machine in a dusty environment the day before but didn't think it was that bad. I pulled the air cleaner and blew it out, reinstalled it and the machine fired right up. Whether or not it is the same on your machine, I don't know but I would think it is worth a look. Good luck.

Trent Morford

Serial # fd201241
I guessed on fuel rail and pump, there was no improvement.
I have not been able to test injectors, the cat mechanic didn’t have it as a option to do a injector test without it running. We used directions from cat to time pump and cat et says it has to have machine running to be calibrated, so we haven’t been able to calibrate yet. Fuel supply is clear and have 4800 at the rail. It will run off a fine mist of start aid. No air in system. Engine turns over freely with no load, about 250 rpm cranking. Good battery voltage. Compression and valve clearances, timing within spec. Throttle valve check was good. Emission system checks good according to cat et. Rail pressure is 4800 actual. Still no smoke out of exhaust pipe during cranking. Took engine ecm to plug into a buddies machine that’s the same and his ran off my ecm just fine. Any more ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
You really need Cat ET hooked up to it while cranking just to see what's going on.

I'm going to speculate that it's a blockage somewhere in the fuel lines, despite the fact you say you are gettin 4800psi. Why.?
Two reasons - One, the way it died as per your OP. Sounds like classic signs of fuel starvation. I'd be looking very cloesly at everything between the fuel tank and the engine for a fitting somewhere that is plugged. Even at the fuel transfer pump.
Two, the fact that it wants to run on just a whiff of ether.

Reuben Frazier

Stupid question but is your transfer pump clicking when you turn the key on? I know you said you checked the pressure but I’ve had 3 of these go out and they shut off like you turned the key off when they fail. It’s a super common problem on these so much so that the new D3’s changed design to a completely different system.

The pick ups in the fuel tank are bad about clogging up as well over time, just a thought