• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 297C running rough

shawncam25

Hello, I have a Cat 297C that all of a sudden started running really rough. Coughs, sputters, and no power. Also the exhaust smoke is more thick. Changed the fuel filter with a Cat replacement. Ran kind of OK for a day then started back up, so I thought it was our bad fuel at the shop. Changed the fuel filter again. Still bad. Continues to run rough. Any ideas?? Thanks

Cva654

Did you ever end up figuring out what the problem was? I am having same issue with my machine.

Cva654

What have you tried so far.?
Is your machine a 297C also.? If not what model is it, a Serial number would be even better.
Yes my machine is a 297c as well. All I've tried so far is replacing fuel filter but will still do same thing after a few hours of running machine.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Got a Serial Number.?
This is a subject that comes up somewhat regularly. Take a look at Page 2 of this thread. I think it covers pretty much everything that you need consider. Don't worry that it's a different model, the same comments apply, especially those regarding the head of the fuel filter.
It might also pay you to drain any water and sediment from the fuel tank. Your Operation & Maintenance Manual will contain instructions on how to do that.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...te-smoke-only-after-hours-of-use.93222/page-2

seville009

Make sure you didn’t put gas or contaminated fuel in. Only way to really “check” this is to drain the fuel, put a new filter on, then put good fuel in.

It’s a pain, but i’d try that first. Might be a simple solution

Cva654

Got a Serial Number.?
This is a subject that comes up somewhat regularly. Take a look at Page 2 of this thread. I think it covers pretty much everything that you need consider. Don't worry that it's a different model, the same comments apply, especially those regarding the head of the fuel filter.
It might also pay you to drain any water and sediment from the fuel tank. Your Operation & Maintenance Manual will contain instructions on how to do that.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...te-smoke-only-after-hours-of-use.93222/page-2
Serial number for the machine is CAT0297CCGCPOO782. I've installed new fuel transfer pump, filters, and drained fuel tank and am still having same issues. Runs rough at full throttle sometimes, revs down by itself and blows what looks like blue smoke when running rough. Any other suggestions I might try?
Thank you

Cva654

X
Did you follow the suggestion on the linked thread and remove the filter head and clean out all the internal passages inside it.?
Yes I cleaned out passages in filter head and blew out all of fuel lines with compressed air and machine is still running the same.

Nige

Have you looked for any electronic faults yet.?
See the attachment. Anything that you find in either Mode 1 or Mode 3 is Active.
Also post anything you find in Modes 2 & 4. Even though they are not Active it might give some clues as to what might be going on.

Attachments

• C-Series SSL Diagnostic Codes using Monitor.pdf
    864.2 KB · Views: 5

Cva654

Have you looked for any electronic faults yet.?
See the attachment. Anything that you find in either Mode 1 or Mode 3 is Active.
Also post anything you find in Modes 2 & 4. Even though they are not Active it might give some clues as to what might be going on.
No I haven't tried that yet. I will check for codes and let you know if I find any. Thank you very much

Cva654

No I haven't tried that yet. I will check for codes and let you know if I find any. Thank you very much
I have tried a few other things with no luck. Machine still stumbles and misfires at full throttle. I checked the codes and am only getting codes in Mode 2. The codes are 91-3 and 2471-3. Any clues on what else i should check. Could it possible be bad injectors?

Nige

Mode 2 is for Codes that are Logged. In other words they were Active at some time in the past but are not Active at this point.
91-3 is the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) voltage above normal.
2471-3 is a Code relating to the door safety switch for the implement lockout function.

Does the engine consume any oil or coolant at all.? Maybe at this point change the engine oil filter, cut open the old one and look for particles. This video explains it better than most.