• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 289D error codes

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Cat 289D, Serial TAW01488

I was running the machine this afternoon and the advanced display started beeping and displaying a red warning with code E-695-3, I couldn't get a picture of the warning, but something about unexpected speed and high speed would be limited. The red warning would intermittently come on, beeping, and then go out. There were no symptoms with machine performance, high speed worked as usual.

Shortly after the E695 code a yellow warning came up with code 41-4, 8 volt supply below normal. This code warning could be cleared off the screen, but would pop back up periodically and have to get cleared again.

The triangle with the exclamation point lit and stayed that way.

There are a number of codes in the history folders, but there are several folders in the Advanced Display and I am not real familiar with what means what. At least some of the history codes I am pretty sure are old from issues a couple years ago.

I do not have access to ET at this time, wondering if anybody has any suggestions which direction to start?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I would say 41-4 (8v supply failure) was the root cause & E695 (motor speed detection disabled) would be the second. Unless the Codes/Events are Active troubleshooting them can be difficult because all the procedures depend on them being active to work correctly.

If you want the procedure for 41-4 just ask.

Acoals

Occupation
I would say 41-4 (8v supply failure) was the root cause & E695 (motor speed detection disabled) would be the second. Unless the Codes/Events are Active troubleshooting them can be difficult because all the procedures depend on them being active to work correctly.

If you want the procedure for 41-4 just ask.

I think the 41-4 is active. The E695 is intermittent. I would appreciate the procedure.

On automotive a 5v reference is common for PCM communications, is the 8v being mentioned in the code serve a similar function?

Last edited:

Nige

Nope. The PWM sensors on your machine are 3-wire. They are powered with 8v from, and grounded back to, the ECM. To measure the output signal on the 3rd wire you will need a DMM capable of measuring duty cycle. I’ll send you an electrical schematic applicable to your Serial Number.

If the 41-4 is Active it ought to be relatively easy to diagnose. If it comes and goes it is likely to be caused by green crusties on a connector or connectors somewhere. You'll probably have to go through the connectors one at a time.

Attachments

• MID039 CID0041 FMI04 UENR3699.pdf
    353.5 KB · Views: 5

Nige

On automotive a 5v reference is common for PCM communications
If you measure voltage on the signal wire you may find that it is something around 4-5v. This is what is referred to as "pull-up voltage" (used to monitor the condition of the signal circuit open or shorted) but it has no bearing whatsoever on the 41-4 Diagnostic Code, nor the PWM signal from the sensor.

Zewnten

If this model has an inclinometer on the bucket unplug it in the loader arm and see if the code goes away. You’ll have a different code for the inclinometer when you do this.

Acoals

Occupation
There are codes for the inclinometer on the display, as well as I believe speed sensor codes. The publication Nige sent indicates that there are a number of sensors on that 8v circuit.

I need to get the machine back to my shop, I don't much like working on stuff on jobsites if I can help it.

Zewnten

There are two torx screws and one 13?mm bolt holding the cover on. Unplug it there and see if the voltage code goes away. The harness between the coupler and loader arm failed frequently triggering this. Should take 15 min max to try.

Acoals

Occupation
There are two torx screws and one 13?mm bolt holding the cover on. Unplug it there and see if the voltage code goes away. The harness between the coupler and loader arm failed frequently triggering this. Should take 15 min max to try.

I will start there, thanks. That harness area of this machine is rough, I do know that much.

Acoals

Occupation
I figure I should update this; There is a sensor down by the quick attach, I think it is probably the inclinometer sensor that Zwenten spoke of, the wiring is all messed up. I unplugged the sensor and the beeping and voltage codes have stopped, just the yellow exclamation point stays lit.
I haven't had time to go further than that with it, all I am using this machine for at the moment is loading salt into the spreader, and we have been pretty busy elsewhere.
I am pretty sure that fixing the wiring disaster down at the quick attach will solve the problem, and at any rate it is the obvious place to start.