• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 289D: DIY install of ride control & hydraulic quick coupler?

iota

I have a 289D and CAT ETL and a little bit of redneck ingenuity to work on my own machine.

Has anyone tried adding ride control and/or hydraulic quick coupler to their machines? It seems like it can be done but I can't find many people who've attempted it without paying big $$ to the CAT dealer for the service (obviously I'll get the parts/kits from them)

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I'm intrigued as to why you would need "redneck ingenuity" to install an OEM parts kit.
AFAIK there are detailed instructions available to install a ride control kit. To locate the applicable instructions for your 289D would need a Serial number.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I have looked into the hydraulic coupler. Cat told me the kit was about $1600, not including any of the hoses. A Cat guy I know who has done a lot of them told me it was a bit of a job, mostly because you are tearing everything apart and fishing lines through cramped places.
The electric quick coupler on mine failed late last season. We pulled it out and used a 3/8 ratchet to actuate the coupler the rest of the season. I haven't decided yet to spend $700 on another electric one or go hydraulic.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
The electric quick coupler is not worth it IMO. They have cheap plastic gears in there that don't last and you've got to buy the whole unit when it piles up.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
The electric quick coupler is not worth it IMO. They have cheap plastic gears in there that don't last and you've got to buy the whole unit when it piles up.

I agree, its just the 2k thing, plus the time to install.

An interesting note, my son tore apart the failed electric actuator, and the failure was in the long shaft that screwed the piston in and out. I have always heard the plastic gears were the weak point, but the unit that we had actually had metal gears.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I agree, its just the 2k thing, plus the time to install.

An interesting note, my son tore apart the failed electric actuator, and the failure was in the long shaft that screwed the piston in and out. I have always heard the plastic gears were the weak point, but the unit that we had actually had metal gears.
Maybe Cat finally decided to build it properly.