• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 289c2 right final drive wont move

GCC

Occupation
Excavation
Ok so i have a cat 289c2 we were working away on a job yesterday when all of a sudden then orange exclamation mark came on and then right side track sounded like it was coming off. Stopped got out checked track nothing wrong got back in light was still flashing went to move and the exclamation mark would just flash and beep and the left side would only function. I traced harness and check all plugs and nothing the code was for right side speed sensors but after restarting the lights out. But the right side final drive will on rock slightly forwards or backward like the brake is still engaged but the left side moves fine.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I had one making similar noises. Swash plate had a crack in it which caused things to bind up. If you have a way to check charge pressure that’s the next step. If that’s good the drive motor needs to come off and apart.

How many hours? S/N?

GCC

Occupation
Excavation
3350 hrs and rtd00643 also when u try to turn right side only it loads the pump up and pulls engine down like its trying but it just cant move more then quarter inch each way on that track

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As per my learned friend above, if you’re getting good pressure to the RH drive motor it’s time to break out the tools and tear the drive apart. The noise you heard originally is the clue. If something is breaking up/already broken in the drive trying to force it will only result in metal debris being spread further throughout the system. You don’t want that.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
You mentioned a code for the speed sensor. What was it.?
There is also the possibility that debris is interfering with the speed sensor signal. remove the sensor and inspect the "business end" for contamination. Take photos if the debris looks in any way interesting.

ih100

First up, drop the oil out of the final drive and check it for contamination, assuming the plug is in a favourable position. In any case you may be able to see tooth damage. Then it’s track off, final drive cover off and work your way in. If the motor has failed you’ll need to do all of this anyway.