• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 289c

Lakeside1

Need help
I just purchased 289C cat 2 speed 3,700 hours
When traveling and low speed No matter what RPM Machine will slow down travel speed on its own
If you return the control to neutral and start over it will speed back up then it will repeat after a few minutes .
Any help Will be appreciated !
Thanks in advance
(I do not have any technical tools Or code reader’s for caterpillar )

sotexdirt

I just joined this forum to investigate this exact issue for new to me cat287 C2 with 2089hrs. It is the worst when first started. If I throttle it up it will move out but probably not max speed. Seems to reverse fine when it slows going forward and the work tool moves fine. Are you experiencing the same?

Drago663

Same problem anyone find solution? I read everywhere from hydro filter to sensor on drives… but no first hand knowledge, and usually no one come back on to say how they fixed it. Any help would be appreciated!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Do you have the auxiliary panel on your machine that enables you to see the Diagnostic Fault Codes.?
According to the system that Serial Number does not but I know a lot were installed after manufacture so worth the ask.
If you don't have that panel the best thing you can do is get Cat ET hooked up to the machine (either by dealer or a local independent mechanic) and have them: -
a) Check for Active Diagnostic Codes and,
b) download a copy of the Product Status Report (PSR). They can give you a copy of that document in Adobe pdf format. The PSR will include all Active & Logged Diagnositc Codes and Diagnostic Events.

Once you know what's there now in the way of Codes and what was there before you'll be in a far better place to figure out what's going on.

sotexdirt

On reading through the various messages I found a hydraulic schematic that Nige had provided previously in this forum. I spent some time to understand it. I read electrical all day but that didn't help as much as I thought it would. I mostly understand but just the schematic is not enough. I spent some more time watching videos and reading about hydraulic systems, static and variable. I have a rudimentary knowledge so now I think I am ready to start troubleshooting the system. My machine has no panel and no alert for codes in operation. I want to buy hydraulic pressure gauge set and hook up to the ports. Any suggestions please?
I will add that while I haven't tested the fluid it is clean and clear. I replaced the filter and dissected the old one. No metal anywhere. This is a good sign. I have my suspicions about what might be the problem but need the gauges to gather more information before replacing parts.

Nige

I have my suspicions about what might be the problem but need the gauges to gather more information before replacing parts.
I think you may be jumping the gun somewhat. I suggest that you need to look at the electronics as regards Diagnostic Codes before you go into the hydraulic/hydrostatic side. If you don’t have the auxiliary panel then finding someone with ET to hook up to the machine is your first challenge.

sotexdirt

This is true. I have not spent much time to consider how the electronics interact with the hydraulics. My thinking was that the pressures would guide me to an area of interest but a diagnostic read on the machine first makes sense. For reference the machine (which I recently purchased) is cat 287C MTL 0287CTMAS01631. Is the diagnostics something that has to be done by cat or do heavy equipment shops have access to this? Is it like OBD where there is a std?

Nige

Is the diagnostics something that has to be done by cat or do heavy equipment shops have access to this? Is it like OBD where there is a std?
The diagnostics do not necessarily have to be done by a Cat dealer, plenty of independents have the same capability. However it does require Cat Electronic Technician (ET) software and a communication adapter to connect the machine to a laptop. The Cat communication protocol standard is similar to OBD but it is different.

sotexdirt

Is it possible to download a schematic of the electronics from some online source? My background is electronics so I would like to understand this even if the diagnostic check doesn't yield a code.

Nige

Sounds like a possible throttle position sensor on the pedal. If I so remember right it will not put up a code. A new one must be calibrated with ET.
Possible, but it would still require ET to monitor the position of the TPS to check whether or not it was not performing as expected.

EDIT: From what I can see the TPS would generate any of the following Codes - MID039 CID0091 FMI03 (voltage above normal), FMI04 (voltage below normal), or FMI08 (signal frequency or pulse width outside expected range).
A uncalibrated replacement TPS would shown an FMI13 (requires calibration) Diagnostic Code

Tyler d4c

Possible, but it would still require ET to monitor the position of the TPS to check whether or not it was not performing as expected.

EDIT: From what I can see the TPS would generate any of the following Codes - MID039 CID0091 FMI03 (voltage above normal), FMI04 (voltage below normal), or FMI08 (signal frequency or pulse width outside expected range).
A uncalibrated replacement TPS would shown an FMI13 (requires calibration) Diagnostic Code
It could there was a service letter for it causing trouble that one you let 9ff and push the control again it would go again with out a code. If I still had access id go find it. There's a chance I'm thinking of something else.

Nige

It could there was a service letter for it causing trouble that one you let off and push the control again it would go again with out a code.
Well look what we have here............
Check the title of the article. Sounds as though the fix could be nothing more complicated than recalibrating the TPS.
Unfortunately for the OP that will still require the use of ET.

Attachments

• M0102044 - TPS.pdf
    838.7 KB · Views: 39

Drago663

Thanks for the reply’s!
Looks like I need to find someone with the cat ET to check the tps!

That diagnosis module you mentioned, is it something I can buy and add on?

Nige

That diagnosis module you mentioned, is it something I can buy and add on?
It is, but it comes in a box with a Cat logo on it don't expect it to be cheap. Let me find the instruction for installing it. the install is simple but (again) it will need ET to program the module.

EDIT: The only upgrade kit I can locate at after a quick trawl is for D-Series, your machine is a C. It might pay to speak to your dealer and ask if there is a similar upgrade kit for C Series or if the D-Series kit can be installed on a C machine. See attachment.

Attachments

• M0077883 - Instrument Panel Kit.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Tyler d4c

Quite the involved letter that one is. Once I got think ing back to mine it wouldn't go do to the linkage being right till I did some major adjustments. I bought 2 sensor till it was over. The not so bad one now lives in the case with the lap top and comm adaptor.

sotexdirt

One question regarding machines without the diagnostic display. If there is a code on the machine doesn't it have a way to indicate to the operator that a code is stored? Like the check engine light on a car. I guess I am wondering why it is necessary to connect ET just to find out if you have codes, but then not surprised if that is the case.