• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 287B with air precleaner

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Danish Cat; I have a new 226BII sitting out at the dealer waiting to be picked up but I had a look at my 248B yesterday in the location where the frame must be cut to get the hose through. The arrangement appears different in that the flange is on the otherside of the cross member...ie the plate is closer the window, not on the radiator side.

The engine bay arrangement on your 287B with the Mitsupillar engine looks practically identical to my 248B ( except yours is clean)but of course the 226BII has the Perkapillar engine and the air-cleaner is on the other side of the engine (from memory). I will have to stop working and go pick up my new machine and work it out.

Last edited:

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
Same here, my filter is on the left side with the intake pointing down and the space between the cab and cooler frame looks very different, do these cyclones have to sit pointing up or can they lay down?

Occupation
Caterpillar shop mechanic
Here are some other solutions for you guys.
These are from other dealerships so I dont know anything about it. But hopefully you can use them as inspiration.

I think the cyclones have to sit upright, but I am not sure.

Attachments

• PICT0025.JPG
    PICT0025.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 395
  • PICT0027.JPG
    PICT0027.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 393
  • v3_ExteriorRear.jpg
    v3_ExteriorRear.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 415
Occupation
I have a few more pictures of the first installation.

Attachments

• PICT0028.JPG
    PICT0028.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 391
  • PICT0029.JPG
    PICT0029.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Occupation
If it the one on the very last picture, the funny looking thing, I dont think that you can buy one. I think it is handmade by metal.

CarterKraft

On the alpha machines (PERkins Engines) we used to put the cyclone directly onto the air filter housing. invert the housing 180* and clamp the cyclone directly to it.

The enginair filter housing is a option as well. Which is cheaper and easier.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Danish Cat...I finally got myself organised to pick up the new machine. Here is what I have to work with:

Attachments

• WomCat 105.jpg
    WomCat 105.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 372
  • WomCat 104.jpg
    WomCat 104.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 359
  • WomCat 101.jpg
    WomCat 101.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 434

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I can see getting around the hydraulic hoses being the biggest problem:

Attachments

• WomCat 106.jpg
    WomCat 106.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 335
  • WomCat 107.jpg
    WomCat 107.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 363

CarterKraft

you won't be able to perforate the cross member on the alpha machines (perkins engine). But you can flip the canister and put a cycolone on it, still works inside the engine compartment.

TMROZ

Matt

Hi everybody.

I am new to this forum and was told to come here by Bobcat_Ron.
I am a danish Caterpillar shop mechanic and I work for the danish importer known as Pon Equipment.

Ron wanted me to show you guys what I have been working on recently. An airprecleaner for a Cat 287B skidsteer with a coldplaner mounted. Their problem was that the standard airfilter for the engine clogs up rapidly, which is a major problem for them.

The following pictures show what I have made, and I would really like some feedback on my work. Afterall it is you guys who are the users of this kind of equipment. I just repair it :)

Good job. I am working on ideas for a 247B2. Hardest part been exiting the engine bay to get to mount the pre cleaner on the roof. Would love more details and pictures. I looked at running up the side of the cab but the lift arm movement restricts what I can use.

rooies13

Pre- Cleaner

It has only been tested in shop conditions and that doesnt really give you any clue how it is going to work in the field. But I do believe its gonna work great. When the engine is running in low idle I can feel the cyclon sucking and "blowing" where it should.

The thing I'm most concerned about is how the hose in the engine bay is going to hold, but I dont think its going to be that big an issue.

What do you want to know?? I have pictures of almost every step of the assembly proces at work, and I can just ring them home. I also have the part numbers you need and i have pictures of the parts that are not Cat. ;)

Hi, looks good.

Dennis

Last edited: