• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAt 287b hydraulic fluid spec please!

tacotory

My 287b didn't come with an owner's manual and I need to add some hydraulic fluid. Can anyone tell me if there is a special spec for the fluid?

I'd rather buy it at my local Napa instead of having to travel to the Cat dealership and pay the Cat premium.

Thanks in advance!

Dr. W

Occupation
Pilot for major airline
If the machine is in warranty use CAT oil. If not MIN -40 to Max 104 use SAE0W20. Napa is a good choice! TW
:usa

Last edited:

tacotory

I don't believe there are any special reqs for oil. High quality diesel-specific oil like Delo or Rotella or others. Not sure on coolant.

maxamillion67

Occupation
I am scruber attendant at a coal fired power plant
I have a an operationand maintenance manual and they say that "SAE 10W-30 is the perferred viscosity grade for the 3116, 3126, C7, C9 and the C9 diesel engines when the ambient temperature is between -18 degrees C (0 degrees F) and 4o degrees C (104 degrees F)"

I have a 2002 CAT 242 skid steer and I am going to run Shell Rotella 5W-40. It is a sythetic blend and the ambient temperature range is -22 degrees F and 104 degrees F.

For the coolant I got some for CAT it was a little more then the the parts store but they gave me what is recomended for the machine.

oppie

Hi I have a 287 cat and every time I want to use it I have to jump it so when it starts and I use it for awhile everything stops working movement and hydraulic would you tell me what the problem could be thanks

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Hi I have a 287 cat and every time I want to use it I have to jump it so when it starts and I use it for awhile everything stops working movement and hydraulic would you tell me what the problem could be thanks
Until you give us an idea of what you have looked at and/or checked on the machine it's like a shot in the dark. It could be a million and one things. Have you done basic stuff like checking that all the battery cable (and on the starter motor end as well) connections are clean and tight..? Have you checked the batteries themselves to see whether or not they are bad..?

Drinkindiesel

Hey! Ihad the same problem with my 2006 cat 287b. I would start it up and would run great for 15 to 30 min. And they the parking brake would apply itself. Let it sit for the rest of the day and the next morning would do the same. I replaced the switch on the arm rest (70.00). No help. same problem. I then removed the floor board and checked the computers. Found they were covered in mud. Spent all day cleaning the mud out and removed the computers. Removed the covers and found the seal breached and moisture was on the computer boards. Used compressed air to dry boards and resealed the computers. Reinstalled and has been working great ever since.. Now tring to to rebuild the undercarriage.. Hope this helps out...