• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 287b charging problems

ianjoub

My 287b is not charging. I replaced the alternator and both battery cables. I cleaned to electrical connections when I did that. The battery has good voltage and load tests good.

Which wire in the 4 wire plug on the back of the alternator is the exciter wire (12v power/ trigger)? I want to test to see if the alt is being told to charge.

Thanks in advance.

ianjoub

I should have looked more closely:

I have 2 yellow and 1 green wires in that pigtail. One of the yellow wires has broken internally. I am trying to track down a new pigtail. I'll repair and report back. My guess is I bought an alternator and battery cables for nothing :shame:

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
wire 403 hour meter
wire 308 power fro ignition switch
wire c444 wire to indicator lamp group
Mark

ianjoub

Thanks again everyone. The power wire from the ignition was broken inside its rubber casing about 1/4 from the alternator plug. I jury rigged it for now and ordered the plug posted above. I am charging at 14.4v again.