• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 277b throttle question

Jasonbowling

I'm sure this will get all different replies. So my 277b is fixed and running awesome. Question on throttle settings. When operating, can I run around at mid throttle and when more power is needed use the foot throttle? I have had a guy that has a 259d say that is how to run it. Then a Bobcat owner said full throttle all the time or burn up the hydraulic pumps.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
unless its a GEN-SET.. no diesel engine is made to operate at full throttle all the time..
THATS WHY they put a variable speed governor on them..
& pressure relief valves in hyro's..

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
It is a common misconception with excavators and skid steers that you have to run wide open throttle. You can run any speed you want as long as youre not lugging and stalling the engine.
When I’m doing fine work with my 287 I use the throttle pedal to control my speed but when I’m plowing snow I go full throttle.

ianjoub

It is a common misconception with excavators and skid steers that you have to run wide open throttle. You can run any speed you want as long as youre not lugging and stalling the engine.
When I’m doing fine work with my 287 I use the throttle pedal to control my speed but when I’m plowing snow I go full throttle.
+1
On my 287:

mulcher = full throttle
every other attachment is barely over idle