• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 267B Water in engine oil

lonelyowl7

I have a cat 267b and im getting water in the engine oil. I opened the radiator cap and the coolant was filled to the cap.

Is there anyway rain could be getting into the oil?

I was having this problem before, and I replaced the head gasket which I thought fixed it, but I have the same problem again.

Any thoughts?

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
I would drain the engine oil and pressurise the cooling system again. Any fresh coolant coming out of the oil pan plug hole?

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
This is a 3044C engine right? Serial number would help. Its decessor, the C3.4 did have some head gasket issues. The 3044C might have also, but I wasn't working on Cat machines then.

If it is coolant you will be loosing it. You won't pick this up unless you check the level stone cold (say the following morning).

As for the rain water theory, the valve covers on these do crack often due to overtightening, but you'd have an oil leak if that was the case.

lonelyowl7

This is a 3044C engine right? Serial number would help. Its decessor, the C3.4 did have some head gasket issues. The 3044C might have also, but I wasn't working on Cat machines then.

If it is coolant you will be loosing it. You won't pick this up unless you check the level stone cold (say the following morning).

As for the rain water theory, the valve covers on these do crack often due to overtightening, but you'd have an oil leak if that was the case.
Yes 3044C. I dont have the engine serial number but the machine is CYC01477

I don't see any cracks in the valve cover, nor oil leaks.

When I replaced the head gasket, just about a month and a half ago, I filled the coolant system and then the overflow bottle/expansion tank to just below the full line. I see know that the level is at the low line. But I have only run it once for 20 minutes since the new headgasket and fill up, so that couldve been the air escaping the system from fillling it up from empty. I also dont think I filled the radiator all the way to the cap, but when I took the cap off today, it was full to the cap, overflowed a little, so that wouldve taken some fluid from the bottle as well.

Also, the system is still holding 16 psi for going on 2 hours now

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Any chance the water in the oil could be residual from when you pulled the head off? Probably worth a shot to drain/refill the engine oil since oil is cheap.

lonelyowl7

Any chance the water in the oil could be residual from when you pulled the head off? Probably worth a shot to drain/refill the engine oil since oil is cheap.
I doubt it, I had the drain plug out for days, left it out while I was doing the job.

Thats probably what im going to do. And top of coolant to monitor its level.

Im a little worried the head is cracked, since that seems to be the only thing I havent check, if it is coolant. I replaced the head gasket, and checked the oil cooler, not sure what else it could be.

When i had the head off, I cleaned and looked at the surface, couldnt see anything obvious

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Thats probably what im going to do. And top of coolant to monitor its level.
That’s probably all there is left to do before looking into the head and block. If it was oil cooler the coolant would be sludge also. And crankcase would fill up with coolant overnight. No other coolant entry points I can think of on these engines.

Standard failure mode for the C3.4 head gasket is to go between a fire ring and a water jacket hole, which results in coolant bubbling in the recovery tank.

lonelyowl7

I should change the filter too right? Guess I'll have to wait until Monday when the cat dealer I'd open again

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
It wouldn't hurt, but I can't see how grey the oil is either. Keep in mind this is just a test. If it passes, it deserves a new filter.