• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 262D E459-2 code

DslDrew27

DTB01483
1665 hours

Checking and cleaning grounds. Found harness to air sensor near air cleaner laying on turbo, repaired melted wiring.
Is this motor supposed to be a wet flywheel housing? Pulled crank sensor and was soaked with oil.
No service book and no Cat ET
On the status screen, I'm not seeing any cranking rpm
I suspect a bad ECM
Relatively new here but been reading for a while, I'll do an intro post soon.
Thx
Andrew

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not Much Help but the best I could find right off, hope someone else has more information.

Attached is a "Event Code List" it does show your 262D:

Attachments

• Event Codes.pdf
    301.3 KB · Views: 77

dtcohen

Their shouldn't be any oil in the flywheel housing. Was the oil black like engine oil or red like hydraulic oil? The ECM wouldn't be the first thing I would suspect. If the speed sensor was covered in oil then it may not read correctly. That could explain why you aren't seeing any cranking RPM. I am guessing that the machine will not start because if the ECM doesn't see cranking RPM then it will not inject fuel.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The E459 Engine Rating mismatch Event gives me reason to believe that the ECM has lost part or all of its programmable memory (the bit with the engine ratings in it in other words).
I would continue with your wiring repairs/troubleshooting, etc, at least for noe. If you need an Electrical Schematic I'm sure someone will post one up for you. Worst comes to worst you may need to get someone with ET involved.
What were the symptoms immediately before everything went dark..? Machine running OK or has it been dying for a while..?

DslDrew27

The E459 Engine Rating mismatch Event gives me reason to believe that the ECM has lost part or all of its programmable memory (the bit with the engine ratings in it in other words).
I would continue with your wiring repairs/troubleshooting, etc, at least for noe. If you need an Electrical Schematic I'm sure someone will post one up for you. Worst comes to worst you may need to get someone with ET involved.
What were the symptoms immediately before everything went dark..? Machine running OK or has it been dying for a while..?
It's all fixed now. Cat service guy was there today. So apparently a wire was rubbed through on a diode harness. Rubbed a bolt for the engine lifting bracket, so that popped a fuse that sent power to the engine computer.
Sometimes the problem is right there in front of your face, just need another set of eyes to find it.
Had we had access to the proper information (service book, and/or ET) probably could have had this machine back up way sooner. think it went down Thursday, today is Tuesday.
Inked262D front engine_LI.jpg
this photo is of course after it was repaired.
the "story" that I got was it just shut down on the operator. Related or not, I don't know, but we have had intermittent problems with the fuel transfer pump.
Few things i dislike about the D versus the C model: radiator is bolted down, and the proximity of the battery and cables to the engine oil filter. I really like the improved HVAC system on the D, the C model is a PITA to clean the evap/heater core.

Thanks to those that replied, if anyone does have access to the electrical diagrams, I'm still interested.
Andrew