• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 262 skid steer HYD. problem

Thesteeleboy

I have a cat 262 skid steer, Recently I got in and started it. It started and sounded good, I started running it and while setting still as I raised and lowered the bucket it started jerking like something was binding up trying to go up or down. I shut it down and then restarted it, before I pushed the brake release button enabling the bucket and moving control's it sounded good. after I pushed the brake release, as I started lowering the bucket I noticed a a change in the tone of the engine that happened the same time as the bucket bound up again. I then re-started, released brake engine sounded good, dropped bucket, everything sounds good then about half way up it stopped again and I could tell the engine was under load again. I then noticed a clicking noise coming from toward the engine or pump area that happens the same time the engine goes in and out of under load while just setting their and also while operating the controls to the bucket when it changes to the non-load the bucket works, Also while tramming the machine the engine slows and then speed up and while it is slow the bucket function hangs up. I'm assuming I need to check the electric hydrolic control valve for a loose wire or a sticky valve but have never done it before, Do I have to remove the cab? or where should I start. I'm too old for this crap but here we go if someone is kind enough to give me some pointers. Thanks Guy's

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
Hi there are no less than 13 different versions of this machine
So we really need a serial number.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
Does the problem occur while using the bucket tilt and dump?
While tramming are you also using the lift or tilt function

Thesteeleboy

Does the problem occur while using the bucket tilt and dump?
While tramming are you also using the lift or tilt function
Yes, while lowering/raising, yes while using bucket and yes while tramming the machine, but the machine continues to move you can feel it slow and feel the pressure increase and decrease while you're moving. After you stop you can hear the motor rpm change as the restriction kicks in and out.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Does the engine feel/sound like its loading up like that when you're just driving or pushing hard and not use the lift/tilt functions?

Just trying to see if its an engine power problem or a hydraulic issue since the drive uses different pumps than the implements.

Thesteeleboy

Does the engine feel/sound like its loading up like that when you're just driving or pushing hard and not use the lift/tilt functions?

Just trying to see if its an engine power problem or a hydraulic issue since the drive uses different pumps than the implements.
yes but it kicks in and out sharply like an electrical problem in the hydrolics control or something and the bucket and lift functions stick like the boom has hit something and just stop while the engine is still running.

Thesteeleboy

So yes or no to the engine bogging while traveling or pushing only (not touching the lift or tilt)?
Yes it bogs in and out while traveling but continues traveling and you can hear the engine bog somewhat. and I was wrong, the bucket function doesn't seem to be affected by it, only the lift and drop, the drop hangs up like the pins have rusted together and then break free allowing it to drop until it hangs up again.

Thesteeleboy

Yes it bogs in and out while traveling but continues traveling and you can hear the engine bog somewhat. and I was wrong, the bucket function doesn't seem to be affected by it, only the lift and drop, the drop hangs up like the pins have rusted together and then break free allowing it to drop until it hangs up again.
I just moved it over closer to my house, while traveling I could hear it kicking in and out.,Once I got there I raised the boom and it was jerky in and out on the way up, when i tried to let it down it was bound up then started shuttering a little going down slowly, then drop fast for a ways and stopped again and continued this all the way down.

Thesteeleboy

I went out and got in the cab to take the bolts off to tilt the cab. After starting it, I raised the bucket about one foot, On the right hand control for the bucket, I pushed the toggle on top back and forth, as I did it sounded basically the some as when it was going in and out while traveling. After doing this five or six times I raised and lowered the bucket a few times and it didn't hang up. I then drove it around for a while, operating all the functions and everything worked fine. I have no idea what happened but it would seem the problem is gone.