• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 259d speed sensor

Nige

how do you replace speed sensor on a cat 259d
There is a metal tag with one bolt (#3) that holds the sensor (#1) in place. If it has never been out before it will most likely be pretty tight.

Question is, why do you want to replace the sensor.?

1704048430310.png

phil smith

code 2688-8 right drive motor speed sensor #2 adnormal frequency, pulse width or period comes up. I switched the wires from the left and right and it changed to 2687-8 right #1 its a 2022 model

Nige

I switched the wires from the left and right and it changed to 2687-8 right #1
If you switched the wires from left to right then the 2688-8 (RH #2) should have changed to 2686-8 (LH #2 sensor). You did interchange the complete 4-wire harness from left to right and vice versa, correct.?

Nige

Something doesn't make sense to me but if you are convinced it's a sensor then crack on.

Nige

Here's the troubeshooting procedure for 2688-8. Try that and see where it gets you.

Attachments

• MID039 CID2688 FMI08 (2).pdf
    338 KB · Views: 32

Tom3697

Replacing the speed sensor on your Cat 259D is quite straightforward. That metal tag you mentioned, secured with a single bolt, holds the sensor in place. Even if you're unsure about it, trust me, it's definitely the speed sensor.

Here's what you need to do:
Find the speed sensor, usually mounted on the transmission on wheel hub. Disconnect the electrical connector from the sensor. Remove the single bolt holding the sensor in place. Gently pull out the old sensor from its housing. Put the new sensor in, making sure it's aligned correctly, and tighten the bolt. Reconnect the electrical connector. Test the sensor to make sure it's working properly.