• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 259D 2017

Willis Hodgkinson

Hi there,
I have been asked by a friend of mine if I could help regarding a CAT 259D compact track loader which will not start, I thought someone on this forum may be kind enough to help. The problem is the starter motor will not turn after the code is keyed into key pad, he says all the dash lights are illuminated but the starter motor fails to turn, the loader was used about one week ago. any help would be much appreciated. I will try to get the machine serial number if that would help.
Thanks, Willis Hodgkinson

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Start with a Serial Number would be good. You'll need that for an electrical schematic.
The problem is the starter motor will not turn after the code is keyed into key pad,
Has the machine got some kind of aftermarket security system on it.?
A photo or two of the panel when it is powered up would probably also help.

What part of Sheffield are you from, just out of interest.?

Willis Hodgkinson

Start with a Serial Number would be good. You'll need that for an electrical schematic.

Has the machine got some kind of aftermarket security system on it.?
A photo or two of the panel when it is powered up would probably also help.

What part of Sheffield are you from, just out of interest.?
Hi Nige, thank you for your reply, here is the serial number CAT 0259D JFTL11692, my friend says a schematic electrical drawing would be helpful, the immobiliser was on the machine from new, but whether its CAT's own or after market he doesn't know. I know he has had a Case technician to look at it. I am from Stocksbridge which is approx 10 miles North of Sheffield city centre

Nige

Can you post up some photos of the "immobilizer" so we can see what it is. It may be Cat's (optional) anti-theft system.

Also a bit of a description about what part it plays in cranking the machine up would also possibly be a help.

Last edited:

Willis Hodgkinson

Can you post up some photos of the "immobilizer" so we can see what it is. It may be Cat's (optional) anti-theft system.

Also a bit of a description about what part it plays in cranking the machine up would also possibly be a help.
Nige,
I will try him tomorrow regarding photos of key pad anti theft system, I can only get his Dad this evening, and that is an education in its self! he's quite a character!
Thanks again

Willis Hodgkinson

Any update.? How did you get on with the diagnostics.?
Hi Nige,
I talked with my mates Dad a couple of days ago, learned a bit more,they have cleaned up the earths and engine has started, but now loader arms will not lift, which he says was the original problem????
i will get to find out more this weekend, thanks for your interest.

Willis Hodgkinson

Nige, talked to my mates Dad, he says the machine will travel in both directions it's the arms which don't work, lift or tilt, he said they are awaiting a man coming to check it out with the computer.
I will let you know of any more developments, thanks

Nige

If they haven't got Finning out to it (at some scandalous hourly rate plus mileage) yet, tell them to FFS hold up.............

If someone has a multimeter then check the operation of the implement safety lockout switch on the cab door.

The door lockout switch and the manual lockout switch on the panel are the devices designed to prevent operation of the implements. This is the reason why I asked was it only the lift that is not working, or both lift & tilt.?

Check the operation of the door switch, it's right there on the door = #10. The illustration below shows how it is wired. It is a reed (magnetic) switch that operates using the proximity of the cab and the door to change status. There should be continuity between Pins A and B with the door closed, and between A & C with it open.

The harness connector shown in the illustration below should be somewhere right next to the switch. If you have the door open and wave a fair size chunk of steel close to the switch it should change state from N/C to N/O and back again.

1684182254668.png
1684185764073.png

1684182152126.png

Last edited:

Willis Hodgkinson

If they haven't got Finning out to it (at some scandalous hourly rate plus mileage) yet, tell them to FFS hold up.............

If someone has a multimeter then check the operation of the implement safety lockout switch on the cab door.

The door lockout switch and the manual lockout switch on the panel are the devices designed to prevent operation of the implements. This is the reason why I asked was it only the lift that is not working, or both lift & tilt.?

Check the operation of the door switch, it's right there on the door = #10. The illustration below shows how it is wired. It is a reed (magnetic) switch that operates using the proximity of the cab and the door to change status. There should be continuity between Pins A and B with the door closed, and between A & C with it open.

The harness connector shown in the illustration below should be somewhere right next to the switch. If you have the door open and wave a fair size chunk of steel close to the switch it should change state from N/C to N/O and back again.

View attachment 286162
View attachment 286168

View attachment 286161
Nige,
thanks for that information, I have talked to my friends Dad, the engineer (not Finning) was supposed to turn up today but has'nt, so his Dad is going to check out the door switch and the other recommendations you have suggested. Many thanks

Nige

Tell him to go behind the seat first and try disconnecting CONN 17 then connect the bypass connector to the machine harness. That simulates the door being closed. If that fixes it, look at the door switch.

DO NOT run the machine with the bypass connector installed apart from testing or if the machine is being operated with the door removed for whatever reason. It is a safety system and should not be disabled long-term.

Willis Hodgkinson

Tell him to go behind the seat first and try disconnecting CONN 17 then connect the bypass connector to the machine harness. That simulates the door being closed. If that fixes it, look at the door switch.

DO NOT run the machine with the bypass connector installed apart from testing or if the machine is being operated with the door removed for whatever reason. It is a safety system and should not be disabled long-term.
Thanks Nige,
I told his Dad to phone me when he starts looking for the bypass connector, he was only saying last night about the importance of the door switch working correctly, as the had previously bought a skid steer, from them viewing it in the dealers yard to it arriving at theirs, the door had got bent by the transport driver who loaded it due to the switch being inoperative. Thanks again I will post again when I know more.

Willis Hodgkinson

Thanks Nige,
I told his Dad to phone me when he starts looking for the bypass connector, he was only saying last night about the importance of the door switch working correctly, as the had previously bought a skid steer, from them viewing it in the dealers yard to it arriving at theirs, the door had got bent by the transport driver who loaded it due to the switch being inoperative. Thanks again I will post again when I know more.
Nige,
an update on the 259D loader not working, sorry its been a while I have been on holiday, My pal did try the jumper connector but no joy, the repair guy didnt show, so he has managed to find someone else, reason being he has work for the machine so he needs to get it repaired. I will post when I know more.