• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 257B3 throttle cable to Inj pump coming loose

elyislander

I have a 2012 257b3 (B7H01324) with the c3.4 engine & every once in a while the throttle cable at the injection pump comes loose and the machine slowly goes to idle

The cable pops out of the fork bracket and allows the spring on the injector pump to go to idle. The cable end connected to the pump does not detach, it just comes loose from the bracket a little farther forward.

I bought it a year ago and at that time this cable was replaced by the prev owner, the original had rusted and it ran at WOT

Anyone have a picture of the cable to bracket attachment so I can see how to put it back together correctly? Or of the retainer that should be there? I have the parts manual but cannot find the detail in this area.

Thanks!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Is there a possibility that the replacement governor control cable & linkage was not correctly adjusted when it was installed.?
Attached the procedure. It's Step 9 of the Hydrostatic system test & adjust procedure. You'll need a phototach to measure engine speed.

Attachments

• UENR0250.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

elyislander

Thank you Nige for pointing that out. Yes it could very well have been done incorrectly as part of the deal was to put in a new cable before it was sold. I will go check the cable nuts to see if they are tight, although if I recall correctly there was a retainer clip that if spun in a certain direction would guarantee the cable would pop free of the bracket. I'll try to get a few pics of it as well.

elyislander

foot-throttle-cable-replaces-caterpillar-327-8945

elyislander

The link above has the cable very similar to what I have. There are no nuts at the bracket.

The end with the spring is at the pump. The way I have it assembled is the bracket on the machine is between the gold washer and the circlip, not sure if this is correct, seems to be.

The problem I think I am having is that my circlip which is similar but not exactly same, is out of the groove and is allowed to slide further down away from the bracket. With a few forward and backward moves of the governor lever, the washer on the cable is not up against the bracket where it should be. Some play develops in the cable to bracket and eventually with enough movements of the governor lever it comes free of the bracket, and back down to idle she goes.

I think I need to get in there and put the circlip into the groove, need to remove air filter housing first, not a lot of room for hands in there.

elyislander

Thanks Nige - much appreciated. The ring I have isn't flat like the Cat part. I have some on order but will futz around with the ring I have not to see if it can be seated correctly.

Nige

This is what it's allegedly supposed to look like. It appears to have a slight convex shape that indicates to me it should face towards whatever is pulling it so that it would tend to pull flat when loaded.
S'funny. I found one on eBay for $8.16, the genuine article from Cat is 37 cents each. Go figure ..........

upload_2020-12-11_16-52-12.png

elyislander

One of very few parts cheaper from Cat than anywhere else! I bought a 10 pack for 3.79, free shipping... 8.16 per part on Ebay...go figure indeed!

Nige

Sellers on eBay often appear to be extremely proud of their offerings.
Manuals are a case in point. Often older superceded versions are up for sale on auction sites at higher prices you could buy the latest version new mint in box from Cat. Buyers beware.

elyislander

Problem solved...

Circlip was not properly seated in the groove on the cable. Now that it is, it is secure and does not pop out of the bracket. Machine even runs a little faster now that it is properly installed.