• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 257b2 using oil

Mark S. 113

Looking for some guidance....I have a 2008 Cat 257b2 with 2500 hrs. Recently purchased, have run for 85hrs. since purchase during which I have added 3.5 quarts of oil. Dealer wasn't necessarily concerned, said Cat tracked acceptable usage by oil compared to amount of fuel consumed. He also mentioned that he remembered something about dipsticks that had incorrect indicators but didn't recall which models/years and would get back to me. I believe he was trying to say that I may have to much engine oil and it's burning it down to the appropriate level. Seems like engine is producing good power, no visible smoke at any rpm. It's doesn't leak any oil. Appreciate any thoughts you have.
Thanks.

Occupation
Heavy Duty Equipment Technician
That is excessive oil consumption. 3.5 quarts is close to half your pan capacity. Change the oil and measure exactly how much you put in. If your dealer is right you should see bubbles or foamy oil from the crank trying to splash lubricate the bottom end.

Mikefromcny

Occupation
Mechanic
Had a 259b3 at work that was down 2 quarts after a service 60 hours ago. Im personally not impressed with the mitsubishi engines.