• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 257B2 A/C noise,vibration

Dug1973

Good evening. Question about the A/C on my cat skidsteer. The air conditioner works, or at least blows a little cooler air than outside temp. But when you turn it on it runs normal and quite for a bit, then it starts making a “rumbling “? Noise, sounds like it’s coming from under the seat. I also notice when I turn ac switch on, the left joystick will move ever so slightly. So before I raise the cab I was curious what I should be looking for. Thanks

Dug1973

Yes it is a SLK machine. And I was curious if it was a hydraulic compressor. But why would it make that sound? All other hydraulics function normally

Dug1973

Ok neither condenser fan works. Keeps blowing the fuse. I blew both fans out, full of dirt, so I’ll get new fuses and see what happens tomorrow. If o need to access the fans what’s the process?

heymccall

On my 248B (same condenser setup), I tilted the hydro tank forward, after raising and securing the cab.
Then, a bunch of fasteners. Including IIRC unmounting the condenser itself.

What I would do is, instead of undoing the shroud and condenser, I'd break or cut the fans at or near the mounting bolts (4 per fan). Then you can put a wrench inside the shroud to unbolt the 4, per fan, m6 nuts. Now, instead of nut and bolting them back like OEM (where the nuts required the shroud to be off) acquire 8 U nuts (fender nuts), slighty enlarge the 6mm holes so the u nuts latch on, then rebolt the new fans in.

Screenshot_20200420-213747_Chrome.jpg

heymccall

218-6250 is the p/n for a fan (2 required).
My cat dealer is $193 ea.
Aftermarket also offer the fan. It's just a 12v 10 blade SPAL fan. Like below.
Screenshot_20200420-214313_Chrome.jpg

Dug1973

One more question where can I find a owners manual for this machine? SLK08447. Manuals I’m seeing the serial number does not go that high. Seems like I can’t find parts for a 257B2. Are all B series the same?