• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 257B blow by! Please help

Mjeagan24

Alright I have a blown head gasket that's for sure. From the back of the machine it was blown in the first piston. However the second push rod is bent. Had a lot of build up on it and bent. Does anyone know what that could be from? The blown gasket goes into the push rod that's bent.

Delmer

Glad to hear you're getting to the bottom of it.

I'd guess the push rod got a little hot from the exhaust and bent. That's a pretty wild guess though.

Obviously check that valve for sticking or bending, and check that piston for any marks from foreign object.

Mjeagan24

The piston & valves look good, the push told that's bent is definitely discolored from the others, like it did get hot. The cat house said one pushrod was $99.82 does that sound right?

Delmer

Doesn't surprise me. That's one part that I wouldn't hesitate to buy used, if you could find one without wasting $100 of time?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The piston & valves look good, the push told that's bent is definitely discolored from the others, like it did get hot. The cat house said one pushrod was $99.82 does that sound right?
Ask them the Part Number that they are selling for that price. My system shows a 154-1248 pushrod retailing at $7.06 each. Even replacing all 8 push rods would still be only around $60.

Have you checked the condition of the ball end on the adjusting screw of the rocker where you found the bent pushrod..? You may find you need to replace that screw also. The Part Number is shown as 153-5587 priced at $.7.65.

Note: I'm doing all this without a machine Serial Number. I THINK these numbers are correct but would not guarantee them 100% without a S/N.

jeremy l

It seems to be a common spot for those older type gaskets to blow, at no 1 piston on exhaust push rod side. It seems odd that push rod is bent,if the exhaust valve isn't carbon' d up and sticking, i think Delmer 's guess of getting hot at the breach point is possible . Also i agree $100 is a bit rich, if you can't find used try asv or perkins they might be more reasonable? Depending how long the gaskets been blown you could have carbon particle in the oil filter or pick up, giving oil pressure problems,a good quality 15w/40 and a new oil filter might help.

Mjeagan24

The serial # SLK6683
The bent pushrod was the only one with a lot of build up on it. Thanks for y'all's help

Mjeagan24

Thanks for the info nige, it was over the phone so he possibly might have looked up the wrong thing. I'm going to go see on Tuesday