• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 252b right drive motor won't move

RMMW

I am new to this forum and have a repair shop. I mainly work on farm equipment but I have this skid steer that I told the customer I would look at because I assumed that it was a chain problem before he dropped it off. He said that a hose blew on the loader and he lost all hydraulic oil. He replaced the hose and refilled it with oil and used it for about 30 minutes and then the right drive motor quit working. I checked the chains and it all looks good in there. I connected a pressure gauge to the brake on both left and right drive motors one at a time and the pressure was just under 450 lbs. At this point without any guidance, I am stuck. Any help on figuring this out would really be appreciated.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Can you please post a Serial Number. Too many options of 252B out there to go guessing.
If the customer blew a hose and did not go through some sort of air bleeding procedure after replacing it and refilling the tank with oil he may have trashed a pump or a drive motor.
Was the blown hose you mention on the RH side motor by any chance.?

RMMW

TNK00353
The blown hose was on his attachment that he had on the loader. He did say he ran it until he ran out of oil though. Nothing was replaced on the actual skid steer.

Nige

He did say he ran it until he ran out of oil though.
That is not good. Prepare for the worst. This could turn out to be an extremely costly lesson for the customer.

So it is a 252B3. Attached the procedure for checking the hydrostat system - when I can get it to upload that is.......

You might be well advised as a first step to remove the hydraulic system filter and cut it open to inspect for the presence of sparklies in significant quantities.

Attachments

• Hydrostat T&A.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

RMMW

I agree. Whatever info you can help me to diagnose which is the culprit, would be really appreciated.

RMMW

While you were posting this I did pull the filter and cut it open. It has a lot more sparkle debris than normal. It is safe to say that something major has failed. I will take a look at your upload and go from there.

Nige

While you were posting this I did pull the filter and cut it open. It has a lot more sparkle debris than normal. It is safe to say that something major has failed. I will take a look at your upload and go from there.
Post a photo of what you found please. Did you squeeze a section of the filter in a vise before looking on the pleats.?

RMMW

The oil inside the filter was silver in color. I did squeeze a section in the vice and it does have sparkles in the pleats. The oil being squeeze out of the pleats in the vice was metallic in color also.

RMMW

The first 2 pics are of the pleats. The third is the oil out of the filter. The last pic is all of the metal settled into the bottom of the filter.

Attachments

• IMG_20230124_151523697.jpg
    IMG_20230124_151523697.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230124_151536204.jpg
    IMG_20230124_151536204.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230124_152135404.jpg
    IMG_20230124_152135404.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230124_152157285.jpg
    IMG_20230124_152157285.jpg
    898.8 KB · Views: 18

RMMW

Off of the information that you gave me, the charge pressure and the speed sensing pressures are within specs. Am I safe to assume that it is the drive motor that has gone bad?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
If there's a speed sensor on the motor, pull it out and check it. Its magnetic so if the motor has piled up you will likely see chunks stuck to it.

RMMW

There is no speed sensor on this motor. Also, there is nobody even remotely close to me that could look at it. Our closest dealer is 2 hour drive in either direction. I'll pull the drive motor out tomorrow and take it apart to see if I can find some internal damage. I will report back tomorrow. Thanks for all your help!

Nige

I'll pull the drive motor out tomorrow and take it apart to see if I can find some internal damage.
Check the attachment. There is not much in the way of parts available for that motor. If it's not listed - it's not available as a spare part.
Another clue that popped up in a search is that there is no D&A procedure for the motor, no specifications, and no Reman motor. All of those are indications that attempting to repair motors is not advised because the guts will probably be trashed.

Attachments

• Motor Gp.pdf
    297.7 KB · Views: 5

RMMW

I just wanted to get on and post back what the results were on this machine. It was the right hydraulic drive motor. I was able to get a used one and put in it and it works like it should. Thanks for all your help on figuring this machine out.

Nige

Unfortunately the customer has had an expensive lesson that if you blow a hose on a machine like this you shut the machine down immediately if not sooner. I'd say it's almost guaranteed that the motor ran without oil. I don't want to be a jinx but what's the chance the motor on the other side is not far behind it.?

Have you suggested an oil and filter change to the customer say 30-50 hours after putting the machine back to work, along with cutting the removed filter to see what sparklies are still circulating in the system.? Based on experience I think it's pretty well guaranteed you didn't get them all.

RMMW

It wouldn't surprise me if the other side isn't too far behind. I'm sure that I didn't get all of the debris out. I did change the oil and filter. I would run the machine for about an hour and pull the filter and the oil in the filter still had debris in it when I would dump it out. I did it 3 times before it started coming out clear. I will suggest to him we change the oil and filter again after he runs it for a few hours.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I always made a point of pigging all the drive motor lines after a motor failure. Sadly you just can't get it all out of the pump unless you tear it down. Definitely be worth taking Nige's advice and do a fluid/filter change again after putting some hours on it.