• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 247B for sale-worth 4K?

LRB45

First off apologies if this is out of place here but hoping to get opinions of those far more experienced than me

A neighbor’s fiancée passed recently and she is selling his Cat 247B track skid steer for 4k. I took a look at it and the meter shows 7506 hours and it was clearly a rental unit during its early life. The unit definitely needs some love along with repairs and as the battery is dead could not run it. From my initial look both joysticks leak and are floppy (loose), there is a battery disconnect installed as she states it drains for some reason while sitting and there appears to be a fuel pump or similar issue as there is a ball primer installed. Don’t see this on images elsewhere so I assume it is not stock? The track and rollers are in decent shape although some of the rollers have a few chunks missing
My guess is there are other issues but Ive seen him using it over the years and as recent as a few months back so I know it runs and mostly works. Mostly being the big unknown

I have rented skidsteers multiple times but from a mechanical standpoint I have no experience with anything beyond the compact tractors I own

I’d welcome any thoughts on whether this would be a smart buy or if the known issues alone are too great

Tyler d4c

If it half works and needs about a month of weekends and evenings of repairs id give 4000 for it. Given It is not totally smashed to pieces or anything

LRB45

That’s sort of how I’m leaning as well and been trying to get an idea on repair and parts cost for what I know. Looks like the track system is the biggest liability, aside from a blown engine of course, so even with a couple grand of repairs you’d go for it?
She is also throwing in a grapple and pallet forks so while I already have both it’s something I can sell to pay for some repairs I guess

Tags

I would see if you could jumpstart it at the very least to see if it runs before you go any further. I believe those engines are not easy to find if it's not in running condition. If it runs and everything hydraulically functions on it, I can't see how you could go wrong as long as you have a bit of mechanical ability.

LRB45

I just threw a charger on it so I can give it a run when I get back. Took some pics if what I would say are the obvious concern20211219_115930.jpg 20211219_115720.jpg 20211219_115755.jpg 20211219_115758.jpg

Delmer

If you can get it to run and drive, sounds like a steal. In this crazy market that's giving it away. Doesn't matter if the tracks need a lot of money soon, or the engine is not going to live forever, running and functioning is worth that in this market easy.

LRB45

Gave her a test and everything is working. Both sticks as well as the hydraulic system all checked out minus leaking at the controllers but under pressure there was no major leaking seen so I guess that's good
Gonna move forward on the deal so I'm sure I'll be on here bugging the experts for advice with repairs and part sourcing

Appreciate everyone's feedback

Tyler d4c

The leaking pilot valves can be fix for about 30 bucks if you need ill get you the part numbers for the seals.

Tyler d4c

This is the poppet seal number they have to go in the right direction. The original on the outside of the brass I get at the local seal house or reuse the old ones. As for manuals check ebay. Just be sure there cheaper then new from the cat manual sight.20211219_200829.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Regarding manuals. A "full set" of documentation for your machine comprises three manuals - Operation & Maintenance (O&M), Parts, and a Service Manual.
A caveat is that if you get hold of a complete Service Manual in paper form it should also contain an O&M Manual, but if you buy from somewhere like eBay always ask "is the manual complete?" Then ask them to post a photo of the first page of the binder which is the Index and confirm that every document listed in said Index is actually present.
upload_2021-12-20_13-38-56.png

The O&M Manual is Cat Publication ref SEBU7732. You can get it from Cat in pdf or CD format for $49, in paper format for $57.
Parts Manual is SEBP3931. CD or pdf download is $228, paper $268.
The Service Manual is RENR4870. They list at $700+ on CD or $1,100+ in paper form. Not available for download. Here's a Service Manual for substantially less than new - https://www.ebay.com/itm/373000997556 - and if you look at the last photo of the listing it does contain an O&M so a $49 bonus right there.........

LRB45

Ouch-$650.00 Clearly I'm out of touch as I was thinking maybe a couple hundred. Might need to hold off on that for a bit to ensure it makes sense for what repairs are needed.
My first tasks are to clean all of the gunk and crap out of the engine and cab bays so I can get a good grip on what is leaking where and do a full fluid exchange. Although I'll hold off on changing the hydraulic for a bit.
Then I'll tackle the controls stick seals with the help of the part numbers from Tyler-d4c and a new seat since it's currently just the steel pan.

I really appreciate everyone's help and input so far-Feeling better about the decision for sure

Nige

My first tasks are to clean all of the gunk and crap out of the engine and cab bays so I can get a good grip on what is leaking where and do a full fluid exchange. Although I'll hold off on changing the hydraulic for a bit.
An O&M Manual would really help you with the maintenance tasks. Probably the best $49 you'll ever spend..........

I understand your feelings about the cost of a service manual but consider it as an investment. A dealer tech is billed out at around $150/hour, so you only have to do 4 hours of what would otherwise be billable tech work yourself to break even. Moreover if you ever sell the machine you can sell the service manual separately and get your investment back.

Nige

Here's the complete parts breakdown for the LH & RH joysticks.
If you ever have any issues with the switches built into the handles the only solution is a new handle. The switches are not sold separately.

Attachments

• 218-5618 RH Joystick.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 218-5973 LH Joystick.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 5

LRB45

An O&M Manual would really help you with the maintenance tasks. Probably the best $49 you'll ever spend..........

I understand your feelings about the cost of a service manual but consider it as an investment. A dealer tech is billed out at around $150/hour, so you only have to do 4 hours of what would otherwise be billable tech work yourself to break even. Moreover if you ever sell the machine you can sell the service manual separately and get your investment back.

That perspective definitely makes sense and I imagine I'll end up with one as soon as I hit my first major repair. The info on the handles is really helpful but right now the buttons all work so it may just be a new boot for both right now. Any thoughts on why neither control would return to the center hold position? Looking at the diagram could it be as simple as a loose holder nut on the joystick? Or is that an internal spring in the handle itself?

ThreeCW

LRB45,
From your photos I see that you have a document box inside the cab on the right side behind the seat. I assume that you have checked in there ... but just in case you didn't, have a look inside for any manuals.

I had a pilot valve hydraulic leak on my 242B. Have a look at my post ... it may not be the same problem as you are experiencing, but this may give you a few ideas on troubleshooting and repair procedures.
See: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/2006-cat-242b-pilot-valve-leak-repair.80611/

It turned out my pilot valve leak was in between the lower body and the main body of my left pilot control ... after a few attempts, I was able to repair the leak by replacing a single $2 "O" Ring (yes ... CAT has some parts that only cost $2 :) ... but not many). The "O" Ring was on the Valve Stem Bolt ... find attached a CAT Service Letter which details that repair.

Note the Service Letter covers 247B's in the serial number range MTL 02925-04037 ... with your serial number MTL 04073 you are just outside of that range (by like 35 units) but it still would be worth reviewing. In the Service Letter, the problem is defined as follows: Some drive side pilot valves were assembled with the incorrect O-ring on the valve stem bolt. The O-ring is undersize and cause leakage on certain valves.

Good luck on your new to you machine.

Attachments

• CAT Service Letter - Pilot Valve Repair Procedure SL REBE1552-01.pdf
    424.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: