• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 247B Aux Hydraulics Intermittent

mmedco

PXL_20221217_234539207.jpg

Before and after some time in the ultrasonic cleaner, a toothbrush, and baking soda.

Everything seems to work properly now, only time will tell. Pulled the main ECM and split it open, it is in better shape but also has signs of water intrusion. Will seal them both and cross my fingers!!
PXL_20221219_203000936.jpg

mmedco

The output voltage to the A1/A2 solenoids changed as the aux controls came and went but they were definitely both energized from the ECM randomly. Also, I had high resistance across the signal and return wire to the joystick pins 52/53 per the below info I found. Hoping that high resistance was just the buildup in the ECM, and not the cracked wheel in my first post... I will double check when reassembled.

Helpful:

Test Step 4. CHECK THE OUTPUT OF THE ECM
Remove the floorplate in order to get to the ECM.

Locate the wires P978-GN and L998-OR coming out of the ECM.
Enable the machine.
Push down on the A1 switch.
Measure the voltage from wire P978-GN to wire L998-OR. Measure the voltage on the back side of a connector or by penetrating the wire insulation. (A 1/16" DRILL BIT SLIPS RIGHT INTO THE ECM CONNECTOR TO BACK PROBE WITHOUT DAMAGING ANYTHING)
Note: Two people will be needed to perform the measurements. One person will need to occupy the seat in order to keep the machine enabled. The other person will take the measurement.

Expected Result:
The voltage should be greater than 10 VDC.

Results:
OK - The voltage is greater than 10 VDC.
Repair: The problem does not appear to be electrical.

NOT OK - The voltage is less than 10 VDC.
Repair: The ECM is very unlikely to have failed. Reconnect all connections and visually inspect the wire harness. Verify that the values that are present on the machine configuration screen match the machine's options. Verify that the values that are present on the machine configuration screen are installed correctly. Verify that the diagnostic code still exists. If the diagnostic code still exists perform the test steps again.Replace the ECM, if the cause of the diagnostic code was not found after the second attempt. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

Test Step 5. CHECK THE SWITCH CIRCUIT

Remove the floorplate in order to get to the ECM.
Remove the wire harness from the ECM.
Press the switch (A1)
Measure the resistance from contact 52 to contact 62 of the wire harness connector.
Press the switch (A2).
Measure the resistance from contact 52 to contact 53 of the wire harness connector.

Expected Result:
The resistances should be less than 5 Ohms on both of the readings.

Results:

OK - The resistances were less than 5 Ohms.
Repair: The ECM is very unlikely to have failed. Reconnect all connections and visually inspect the wire harness. Verify that the values that are present on the machine configuration screen match the machine's options. Verify that the values that are present on the machine configuration screen are installed correctly. Verify that the diagnostic code still exists. If the diagnostic code still exists perform the test steps again.Replace the ECM, if the cause of the diagnostic code was not found after the second attempt. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

NOT OK - The resistances were greater than 5 Ohms.
Repair: The circuit is open in the wire harness and/or the connector. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.

AustinC

View attachment 275450

Before and after some time in the ultrasonic cleaner, a toothbrush, and baking soda.

Everything seems to work properly now, only time will tell. Pulled the main ECM and split it open, it is in better shape but also has signs of water intrusion. Will seal them both and cross my fingers!!
View attachment 275451

Hello, when you put this in the cleaner, did you place the whole thing in as shown here or did you completely remove the circuit board from the case?

mmedco

The board is glued into the case, I submerged the whole thing.

It worked for awhile but all of the symptoms returned, pulling the ECM shows the damage of course remains. I need to replace the ECM completely.

AustinC

The board is glued into the case, I submerged the whole thing.

It worked for awhile but all of the symptoms returned, pulling the ECM shows the damage of course remains. I need to replace the ECM completely.
Okay thanks for clarifying. I appreciate it.