• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 246 Won't Start

01Time

I can't get my Cat 246 (5SZ00786) to start. It turns over, but it just cranks. Prior to this, it was running just fine - no issues. I did refuel it last time it was running (I refueled it while running since I use the machine's battery to power my diesel pump), but it's the same diesel I've been using.

I do suspect it's a fuel issue, but I'm unsure of exactly how to troubleshoot it beyond replacing the fuel filter. The filter has only about 150 hours on it, but it's not ran too often so it's been two years since it was replaced. Assuming this is a good starting point, is there anything to consider? Will my machine automatically prime the new filter?

01Time

It's probably close enough. I'll check it out and give it a shot.

I finally got around to looking at this again. My 246 is an older version; the D series is a more modern version and it is arranged differently. My fuel filter is not a replaceable cartridge type, it is a fully contained spin on type. Well, it doesn't fully spin on like the oil or hydraulic filters. There's a plastic ring that unscrews and then the filter comes out with a quarter turn.

The filter did need replacement, but it seems that the no start problem is because the fuel lift pump is not pulling fuel.

AllDodge

So using the primer pump on top the filter will not bleed the system? If it is the transfer pump then its below

FP.jpg

01Time

Do you have the Operation & Maintenance Manual for it.? That would include basic tasks such as changing fuel filters and priming the fuel system afterwards.

I do have the Operation & Maintenance Manual. I tried priming the filter as it describes, but the fuel priming pump plunger isn't pulling any fuel.

AllDodge

I do have the Operation & Maintenance Manual. I tried priming the filter as it describes, but the fuel priming pump plunger isn't pulling any fuel.

Then that would be either the feed line is clogged or the primer. The fuel pump is a diaphragm pump with check valves. Might be a clogged up fuel pickup line, banjo bolt or other. Take the lines and such off to see if there clean

ThreeCW

If priming the fuel system does not result in getting any fuel movement, then you likely have a plugging problem.

I experienced a fuel supply problem on my CAT 242B which was a result of plugging of the fuel screen that is part of the mechanical fuel pump (your fuel pump may be different).

Here a recent thread that highlights fuel supply troubleshooting on similar CAT skid steers including the problem I experienced on my 242B:
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/cat-226-fuel-problem.78929/

Last edited:

01Time

If priming the fuel system does not result in getting any fuel movement, then you likely have a plugging problem.

I experienced a fuel supply problem on my CAT 242B which was a result of plugging of the fuel screen that is part of the mechanical fuel pump (your fuel pump may be different).

Here a recent thread that highlights fuel supply troubleshooting on similar CAT skid steers including the problem I experienced on my 242B:
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/cat-226-fuel-problem.78929/

Interesting. No matter what ends up fixing my issue, I think putting in an inline filter is a no-brainer.

01Time

Were you able to resolve your No Start Issue on your CAT 246?
Funny, I was just thinking today that I never posted the resolution. I did get it fixed.

The problem was a bad fuel lift/transfer pump. After it got replaced, it started right up.

And to be on the cautious side, I also replaced the fuel filter and put in the in-line filter (Baldwin BF7863) recommended in the thread you referenced earlier.

Luckily the pump (which included the gasket) was only US$69 from my Cat dealer. And a friend of a friend only charged me an hour of labor to come out to my place to troubleshoot and repair it and to change and add the fuel filters...making it a relatively cheap repair.

I really appreciate the suggestions and info on this.