• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 246 and 246B drive motor

Bajanguy1

Can anyone tell me if the caterpillar 246 drive motor will fit the 246 B skidsteer? I have a 246B but the right driver doesn't turn when under load , seems as if the left drive motor is doing most if not all the work , but I got a rexroth motor from a 246 , will it fit the 246B ?

Bajanguy1

OK, so the motor on PAT02843 is a 220-8162 which services to 280-7856/Reman 10R3336.

Just confirm is it single speed or 2-speed.?
I have no idea, I'm not that experienced in dealing with the hydraulics on the machine, so far the only difference I can tell between the two is the lip that goes around where it will bolt to the frame, I'm hoping it fits inside the frame , I'm probably not explaining it right, I'll take some pics later today

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
i didn't realize that you already had the drive motor from the 246.
I can see that early 246's (prior to the B model) had a different Part Number of drive motor compared to later ones. The later 246 machines shared the same 220-8162 motor that was originally fitted to your machine.

Digressing slightly. If you currently have a drive motor that is potentially coming apart internally have you looked at the hydraulic filter for the presence of metal/bronze particles.? You really need to because if you find them then you have a FAR bigger problem than simply replacing a motor.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I would spend some time troubleshooting first. Motor might be perfectly fine. There are a few other components in the system that will cause weak travel power.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I would start with checking motor case drain volume. Take the case drain line off the motor. Plug the line on the machine side and run a hose from the motor case drain fitting into a bucket. Its important that you do not run the machine without an open line out of the motor case drain - you will blow up the motor for sure if its blocked off.

Not sure if CAT has a case drain volume spec for that unit. I know the newer units didn't. All they could tell me was that it shouldn't be much more than a pencil lead sized trickle with the motor stalled out under full flow and oil at operating temperature. Generally speaking I've found that to be relatively true for most hydraulic motors. @Nige might be able to find a spec if CAT has one.

Bajanguy1

i didn't realize that you already had the drive motor from the 246.
I can see that early 246's (prior to the B model) had a different Part Number of drive motor compared to later ones. The later 246 machines shared the same 220-8162 motor that was originally fitted to your machine.

Digressing slightly. If you currently have a drive motor that is potentially coming apart internally have you looked at the hydraulic filter for the presence of metal/bronze particles.? You really need to because if you find them then you have a FAR bigger problem than simply replacing a motor.
Well the 246 motor fit the 246b perfectly. I now have to refill with hydraulic fluid and give it test .and I haven't checked the filter any metal debris as yet . One more question, does cat sell the caps for the hydraulic hoses , or do you know of a website where I can source any. I'm trying to save as much fluid as I can if I have remove the hydraulic pump for any reason , I'd like a cap for each hose .

Bajanguy1

I would start with checking motor case drain volume. Take the case drain line off the motor. Plug the line on the machine side and run a hose from the motor case drain fitting into a bucket. Its important that you do not run the machine without an open line out of the motor case drain - you will blow up the motor for sure if its blocked off.

Not sure if CAT has a case drain volume spec for that unit. I know the newer units didn't. All they could tell me was that it shouldn't be much more than a pencil lead sized trickle with the motor stalled out under full flow and oil at operating temperature. Generally speaking I've found that to be relatively true for most hydraulic motors. @Nige might be able to find a spec if CAT has one.
I'm not what or where the motor case line is , is the the small line between the two big lines on the motor it self?

Bajanguy1

I suggest to change the hydraulic oil filter at the earliest opportunity and cut the old one open for inspection.
Hey nige , I have another problem, my camshaft broke ,do I need to remove the engine or can I take the broken cam out with the engine in.

Bajanguy1

Pull the engine. If the cam indeed broke valves and pistons have probably had contact without consent.
I got u ,I know but normally can the cam be removed without taking the engine out , or will the lifters be a problem, I think last time I removed the cam the engine was laying on its head , will the lifters fall out?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Oh then it's the cam follower I mean , will those drop in the oil pan , or do I have turn the engine on its head ?
The cam followers will have to be extracted before the camshaft can be removed otherwise they will fall downwards. They may come out upwards after removing the valve gear but I don’t know if the pushrod holes in the head casting are big enough for them to pass through. Rather than struggling you might be better advised to simply snatch the engine complete.