• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 239D EGR Valve Error

masber2000

Hello-

Due to sickness, my 239D has been sitting unused for about 4 months. I was finally able to start it back up last week. When starting, I got the following error message, along with loss of power when revving the engine:
2791-10
Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve Control Abnormal Rate of Change

Upon seeing this, I removed the EGR Valve and cleaned it thoroughly. Before reinstall, I would like to test it to ensure it works correctly. What's the best way to do this?

Also, could this error code signal another problem besides the EGR valve? If yes, what should I look for?

Thank you,

Mb2k

harry12564

I also have the same problem with my 249 and wondering how to correct Its only been sitting a month so i am confused on what went Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks H

Tree Mulcher

In addition to the above procedures. I would consider a detailed inspection/testing of the engine wiring harness before replacing the actuator assembly if unable to confirm a faulty actuator assembly. The complete engine harness from cat is reasonably priced IMO and much less cost than the actuator assembly.

I tried an aftermarket actuator with no success one time. The last one I changed was considerably lower cost from cat dealer then local Kubota dealer and this was some time ago.

Also of note if the actuator starts sticking open to far it can cook an engine in some situations before you get codes.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I can't remember if it is this particular engine model that is in the OP's machine but there was a specific area where the engine harness is secured to a ladder clip that is pulled in a very tight radius. It is well-known for wire failures due to a combination of pressure from the zip tie and vibration at that very spot.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
i have to figure out how to get to anything in there Its awful tight Thank u for reponse
Lift up the radiator. That's covered in your Operation and Maintenance Manual. Also the schematic will help identify where everything is and has component part numbers.

Unplug the sensor you think is the EGR valve. Key on. If you get more codes active relating to the EGR valve position sensor and EGR valve actuator you're at the right plug. If you get coolant sensor voltage above normal or something else you're not.