• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 236D starting issue

cat320

Charter Member
I know this will be a dump question but I have replaced the battery checked the alternator and seams to be charging leave the machine for a few days or when weather is colder feels like it does not have enough juice to start volt meter on machine says it is like around 11 then once it's going up around 14.6 it does have a radio and heated seat .I was thinking maybe the radio is drawing from machine when off killing battery . this sound like something that anyone else has had with this machine ?

Delmer

not a dump question, but you got a dump truck so that would be ok if it was.

If you think the radio, or anything else is draining the battery, the easiest test is to remove the ground cable from the battery and let it sit a week, then hook it back up and see if it cranks good, or equally slow. that will tell you if the battery is draining itself, or being drained through the machine, or if the machine has something else wrong that won't let it start well cold.

If it seems like a few days is weakening the battery, then a week should drain it dead. if you can't let it sit that long, come back and we'll have other suggestions.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
What about thick oil.?? the colder it gets, the thicker the oil gets..
BUT.. I would do the battery test 1st..
Another thing is> don't rely on the machines battery gauges.. go get a 20.00 battery load tester..
THAT will check current/stationary voltage, starting voltage drop & charging voltage.. & lets not forget u can "load-test" the battery..
Once/IF u find that its the parasitic load on the battery.. u can start pulling fuses to narrow down the circuit..

AllDodge

You need a voltmeter, can get a cheap one at walmart or some bat chargers have one built in.

After charging or running for a good while shut it down. Wait a couple hours and check the bat voltage level.
Fully charged 12.7V
80% charge 12.4V

Disconnect negative cable as Delmar mentioned and check the next day. If all good, connect cable and check again next day