• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 226

vgilbertson

Hello
I picked up a 226 that when started acts like running on 3 cylinders, one it warms up the 4th cylinder will kick in and the machine will run fine, I replaced the injectors and made no difference. I am not losing oil or water so looking for adive on what to check.
Thank you

vgilbertson

Nige, I am not a mechanic, just a DYIer, and thought I would need to pull the head, I will check the valve clearance first. Thank you

vgilbertson

Not sure if I fat fingered the heading or what but the Skid Steer is a 216 not a 226, the hour meter reads 1371 hours. Looks to be the same engine but the valve cover is a different configuration. The clearance on the valves was very tight, a couple appeared to be holding the valves over a bit. I adjusted to .014 but could not start the engine, the lap bat switch had been acting up and now will no work at all, tried jumping it out, could stop it from blinking but not go out, I read you cannot bypass the switch so am looking for a replacement.

vgilbertson

I was able to run the 216 yesterday, adjusting the valves did not make a difference. I am off week after next and will do a compression test.

vgilbertson

My compression tester does not have anything that will work on this engine, will need to find the right fittings. the first picture is the injector that is in the front of the engine, towards the seat, the second picture is what the other 3 injectors look like

Attachments

• Front cat cylinder.jpg
    Front cat cylinder.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Front cat cylinder 2.jpg
    Front cat cylinder 2.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 11

Arny L

They should all look the same I would think. The front one looks like anti freeze is getting in there. Its steam cleaned. That or injector is dripping after shut down, and misses until excess fuel is burned off.

vgilbertson

They should all look the same I would think. The front one looks like anti freeze is getting in there. Its steam cleaned. That or injector is dripping after shut down, and misses until excess fuel is burned off.
I am not losing any anti-freeze, it does not fire until it has warmed up for a couple minutes. did the same with the original injectors.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
my guess is the front, closest to the seat, due to the diffrence in the injectors.
Did you not try cracking the injector lines one at a time to check which one caused no difference to the "misfire" when you loosened the swivel nut.? You could do this either at the injector or the fuel pump end, whichever is more accessible.

1713312353477.png

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
if its a 3024 engine head gasket blows between 1-2 cylinder head gaskets were common failure at one point. They generally keep running.......but will fill the engine with carbon eventually causing bearing failure. if the problem is not addressed. will start hard have more smoke less power and often runs on 3cyl. a new updated gasket is now available. If you open the rear door and view the engine on the LH side at the rear of the corner of the cylinder head. if you see a eyelet with a brass inset you have the updated gasket............not that it cant blow...but its a much more reliable part.