• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 225blc 3208 weird engine start issue fuel related

planetshapers

This machine is a caterpillar 225blc 2zd series machine.
It is not pretty good shape for its age.
We bought it in the 90d and it was owner operated by me or my dad ever since.
In the past 12-14 years we have rarely used it.
It just sits around our shop for a random load of dirt or to unload something.
It sat the last 2-3 years.
I went to crank it a few months back and it cranked fine. The next day it cranked, then slowly died as if the fuel filter was bad.
I changed filter, primed it etc...and it wouldn’t crank. Changed filter again. Wouldn’t crank.
Came back a month later and it cranked.
It has done this sporadically.

A month ago...it wouldn’t crank. I changed filter, took a bar and poked at injector pump, took air compressor and blew through fuel line back up into tank to hear it gurgle...blew back toward filter to verify... no crank. A few splutters.
I noticed the hand primer oring was bad so I took one off another machine.
Charged up batteries really good....it cranked.

I’ve even check fuel cut off solenoid. Clicks and Works. As far as I can tell. I have also removed it.

It cranked once..ran at low idle and then died. Now won’t crank ...but kinda will for a second.
So, I am not 3208 expert as this engine has been dead reliable and I’ve had a few in some dump trucks in past with no issue except one slung a rod coming off a mountain holding back a load of overweight gravel.

I’m thinking injector issue?
Algae? I have used treatment in fuel.
Does it have a lift pump? Where? What to do? Price?

Oh..an one more thing. An old timer equipment guy helping one time poured atf in a filter and put it on and tried to crank it. Idk about this...I’ve poured it in fuel before but not in filter. It seemed to make it worse at the time. Wouldn’t crank for sure! But changed back to fuel. Later on it cranked for a few days. After sitting a few weeks...went back to the no crank situation.

Any tips?

Thanks so much.

I have a few other questions about the machine but I will post separate for that if that’s ok.
Thanks

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
They don't like to sit around.. the inj. pump rusts from the inside..
You can get to the control rack by> removing the solenoid.. ya see that "flapper"??
That's linked to the control rack inside the pump.. Use your fingers & move it up & down..
You can start the machine w/o the solenoid.. just move the "flapper" when you wanna shut it down..
IF there is any fuel in that solenoid area, the seals are shot..
More than likely, the rack is gummed up & moving it to the run position w/ your fingers will getcha going.
Good luck & let us know how it went..