• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 225 lc excavator - how to check coolant level

xubar

20230807_171858.jpg
New to the excavation scene and just picked this guy up. As the title suggests, there is no obviously visible coolant reservoir, so I'm wondering how to keep an eye on the coolant level. Thanks!

xubar

I got my hands on the operation and maintenance manuals, thank you, Nige!
I now have an issue with a blown drive motor hose. Is this something a newbie can replace in-the-field? Hose is the far left big hose on the top.20230819_183253.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
How would one go about finding the other end of this hose?
Crawl underneath the carbody and look up.........
The other end of the hose connects to the rotary swivel. There may be covers/guards bolted to the underside of the machine frame that have to be removed first to gain access to the swivel.

If it's hose #11 in the diagram it is Part Number 6W-1429. It will require a 1P-3704 Seal for the travel motor end and a 1P-3703 Seal for the swivel end.

1692867292578.png

xubar

Got the hose replaced, worked well until I ran out of fuel. I added 30 gallons, but I can't get it to turn over. I primed it per the manual until fuel started coming out, then locked the priming pump and closed the bleed valve. Any suggestions would be great! It's currently parked on a pretty good incline.

Attachments

• 20230828_170329.jpg
    20230828_170329.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230827_213622.jpg
    20230827_213622.jpg
    898.7 KB · Views: 4

Gary Layton

Recently when I was reading about how to prime a fuel system, there were some instances where the injector pump had to be primed...on my CAT 320 the injector pump has its own priming system (hand pump) and mine looks awful to get to. When I changed the fuel filter I only had to prime the fuel system with the "easy to get to" primer at the top of the engine. Maybe you need to prime the injector pump? Some of the knowledgeable guys should chime in soon.

heymccall

Once air is bled from filter top bleeder, close bleeder and continue pumping. You should be able to hear air returning to the tank. Usually 15 pumps against resistance and then a couple of 15 second cranking periods.
You shouldn't (read don't) need to use the zexel primer, as that's why Caterpillar installed the other primer (Zexel was inaccessible).

Welder Dave

I think you mean start not turn over. Turn over would indicate a starter issue where the engine won't turn. Are you getting smoke when trying to start it and do you have the throttle set to maximum? If it does start quickly move the throttle to low idle. If you're getting smoke you could try a tiny shot of starting fluid. Sometimes that's all it takes but only a tiny shot or 2. If that doesn't work don't keep trying starting fluid. You'll need to do more hand priming of the fuel system and/or loosening the fuel lines at the injectors. You have to be careful loosening the lines at the injectors and may need 2 wrenches so nothing gets twisted.

xubar

I think you mean start not turn over. Turn over would indicate a starter issue where the engine won't turn. Are you getting smoke when trying to start it and do you have the throttle set to maximum? If it does start quickly move the throttle to low idle. If you're getting smoke you could try a tiny shot of starting fluid. Sometimes that's all it takes but only a tiny shot or 2. If that doesn't work don't keep trying starting fluid. You'll need to do more hand priming of the fuel system and/or loosening the fuel lines at the injectors. You have to be careful loosening the lines at the injectors and may need 2 wrenches so nothing gets twisted.
Yeah, it turns over just fine..just won't start. I was watching a video earlier and saw someone take out the air filter and shoot some starting fluid in. It started for them, so I was going to try that tomorrow.