• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 225 engine swap question .

gary808

Occupation
operator,maintanence ,fabricator
just wanted to see if anyone has done a swap from the 3208 to the 3304t engine ? i know they came in models not sold in america .

my main question is would or could it somehow bolt up ?

our 225 has around 7k hours on it and its really starting to show on the 3208 ,and we have a old genset with a 3304 turbo and 50 hours or so on it .

so has anyone ever atempted this ? did the 3304 models use a different pump gear box?

any info would be much appreciated.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
My 215D has a 3304 in it. I am not sure if the earlier ones had a 3208 or not. When we overhauled the 3304 in mine we pulled the whole engine support frame complete with the radiator out. Just unbolted the pumps.

As far as putting the 3304 in the 225 it should fit. Would be nice if you had the whole engine frame to do it with.

On the other hand, throw enough time and money at it and even the impossible becomes possible.

TD-5

All the 225's manufactured at Caterpillars plant in Belgium had the 3304 engine. Lots of these came to Canada, can't say about the USA. Should be lots of parts machines around if you needed the extra bits & pieces for the swap

Belgium manufactured:
225 Prefix 76U
225B Prefix 3YD
225D Prefix 6RG

The original 225 was also Manufactured @ a plant in Brazil with the 3304
Prefix # 20S, not sure where these ended up.

Here is a link to RitcheWiki site, some 225 info there:

http://www.ritchiewiki.com/wiki/index.php/Caterpillar_225_Hydraulic_Excavator