• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 225 51u725 will not tram

Vernon Lowe

neither side will turn.when i step on the pedal the motor loads and the tram motor hoses flex. i checked the oil in the final drives and there's no metal. How and where do i check the prssure to the drive motors? I also think the lift cylinder is slow,is the boom lift and tram motors controlled by the same pump?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Attached the Cycle times and Test & Adjust procedures for the hydraulic system.
You might be well advised to start with cycle times on the travel motors then move to measuring the case drain flow from them before moving on to pressure tests.

The usual way to measure travel motor pressure is to jam a track pin, towing pin, etc, into the teeth of the sprocket then rotate the travel motor so the pin becomes jammed.

Attachments

• Cycle Times.pdf
    77.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 225 Hyd T&A.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Those test & adjust docs are excellent. Wish they still made excavators like these.

As per what Nige said, start with cycle times and case drain flow. Take a case drain line off each drive motor. If oil shoots out while trying to track the machine you have a problem.

Another easy check is the track brake. Loosen the hoses at the track brakes, stand well away and start the machine, try to track. Things should get messy. If not, track brakes are engaged.

Is there a chance someone else has worked on this machine and left the little screw wound in on the track brake valve?

Vernon Lowe

You might be well advised to start with cycle times on the travel motors then move to measuring the case drain flow from them before moving on to pressure tests.

The usual way to measure travel motor pressure is to jam a track pin, towing pin, etc, into the teeth of the sprocket then rotate the travel motor so the pin becomes jammed.
thank you

Vernon Lowe

my question for that is how can i rotate the travel motor and jam a pin if the motors won't turn the tracks?

Vernon Lowe

Those test & adjust docs are excellent. Wish they still made excavators like these.

As per what Nige said, start with cycle times and case drain flow. Take a case drain line off each drive motor. If oil shoots out while trying to track the machine you have a problem.

Another easy check is the track brake. Loosen the hoses at the track brakes, stand well away and start the machine, try to track. Things should get messy. If not, track brakes are engaged.

Is there a chance someone else has worked on this machine and left the little screw wound in on the track brake valve?
no one has worked on it that i'm aware of. I loaded a load of dirt and backed the machine up.delivered that load of dirt and went to move it again and it got to moving real slow and then stopped and won't budge now.

Vernon Lowe

i did take the 2 bolts out of 1 track motor and hit the pedal and that motor will turn both directions on the brake housing a couple inches til the hoses catch it

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Well if the tracks won't turn then you need to get a pressure gauge on the motor as per the procedure above. Report your results for both sides.

Attached the System Operation for the hydraulics so you can understand how it works. There are a total of 4 pumps n that machine.

Attachments

• Hyd SysOp.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 5

Vernon Lowe

Well if the tracks won't turn then you need to get a pressure gauge on the motor as per the procedure above. Report your results for both sides.

Attached the System Operation for the hydraulics so you can understand how it works. There are a total of 4 pumps n that machine.
I got the tram motors to turn briefly by turning out the screw on the brake valve,I put the cover back on the tram motors and now it won’t do anything. Does that screw have anything to do with the pressure to the brakes?

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Page 57 of the Systems Ops Nige posted explains it better than I can. That screw is there to provide means of preventing track movement during testing. You achieve the same thing by jamming something in between the sprocket and track chain as mentioned by Nige earlier.