• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 160M

Brolga

My Cat 160M B9E282 grader is changing up and down gears while working. Seems to get worse as transmission gets warmer. Will change up for a minute or so then go back down.
I am guessing it is a electrical problem, it is not throwing any fault codes but. Machine has 9500 hrs on it.
Any one got any ideas.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Have the transmission clutches been calibrated recently..? That's the first thing I would think of. Also has the transmission ever been overhauled, because if not it's gone far more hours than it had any right to....usually about 6000 is the limit before a clutch sh1ts itself.

pabear52

Occupation
Pipeliner, Earthmover, Miner,Dragline operator
Hiya Brolga. We had a 14M do this, threw real wobbly and it was chafed cable in amongst the bendy bits in the articulation. It took cat fitter quite some time to find it and was lying under the machine to fix it if I remember correctly. Cheers, Pa Bear.

20/80

Occupation
operator
My Cat 160M B9E282 grader is changing up and down gears while working. Seems to get worse as transmission gets warmer. Will change up for a minute or so then go back down.
I am guessing it is a electrical problem, it is not throwing any fault codes but. Machine has 9500 hrs on it.
Any one got any ideas.
Some of the newer m series has auto shift button its possible you may have it switched on, something to check for. hope this helps thanks

joeblow

Occupation
Retired
Have the transmission clutches been calibrated recently..? That's the first thing I would think of. Also has the transmission ever been overhauled, because if not it's gone far more hours than it had any right to....usually about 6000 is the limit before a clutch sh1ts itself.

joeblow

Occupation
Retired
We have a Cat 160m B9E that lost both forward and reverse.Main pressure is good at 360 psi . No CODES have come up .Any ideas?

20/80

Occupation
operator
We have a Cat 160m B9E that lost both forward and reverse.Main pressure is good at 360 psi . No CODES have come up .Any ideas?
This may be a long shot but the pressure switch in the seat may be faulty, we had one in a 140m mess up and acted like this, easy fix.

joeblow

Occupation
Retired
This may be a long shot but the pressure switch in the seat may be faulty, we had one in a 140m mess up and acted like this, easy fix.
At this point I am willing to try anything!Right now I think we have it nailed down to aliens and cosmic rays.
Thank you for your reply