• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 12H Grader Question

Clayton M

In the Cat 12H, someone was telling me that the switch on the right side under the key pulls out a pin so that you can move the blade a little more. What direction does it move to? Is it hard to get the pin back in? What are the advantages? What do you use it for? And when the pin comes out when you get it where you want it does it lock in at a different spot? Pictures? Anyone? I am a pretty good grader man i am just trying to learn some new tricks and i don't want to play around with out any knowledge because my boss keeps up on me pretty good so if I got the pin out and couldn't get it back in I would be embarrassed and in trouble!!

curb slayer

What about the pins? Do they fit in pretty easy?

from the drivers seat, just out side the cab on the right hand side there will be a white plate with black markings,this is for alignment of the pin and the different position holes which are located under the main frame between the cab and the circle.To release the pin place blade on ground,flick pin release switch, you may have to move your lift rams up and down to release (one side up,on side down same time vice versa)until a light comes up on the dash.This means the pin is unlocked,now u can align a different mark on your white plate by lifting one ram and lowering the other, and at the same time use your blade slide(you will get the hang of it, try it on dirt)once aligned flick switch and make sure light goes out.It will give you more reach and will allow you to cut steep batters depending on which position you have selected.ps watch your mouldboads trailing edge when putting in batter position.

WILDCAT

G'day curb slab,

Did you get that out of the owners manual?
(Just joking)

Regards
WILDCAT

Grader4me

Good explaination of proper procedure. The only advice that I can give you is have someone that has done this before show you. If it's not done right you could end up doing some damage to your lift pistions or side shift piston.

I'm working with a new grader operator now, and this is one of the things we are working on. We change blades alot during winter operations, so using the high lift makes it easier.

Clayton M

Thanks Guys. I will try to do it my self, I will just keep an eye on everything while I do it.