• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 12 seiral (again)

Gussoo007

Hey fellow Heavies. I have just brought an old 12 grader here in Oz. Serial 9K4712
It's had and engine swap to a mighty GM671 or 653 not sure yet. Just wondering if any could shed any light on the olde girl please.
It joins my stable in company of a 1967 TD15B, and 1992 Ford Louiseville tipper and my Sumitomo sh125x3, not to mention the Zetor, MF and Same tractors.
Thanks all

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
A GM 6-71 is an inline 6 - a GM 6V-53 is a V6. Every 53 series GM Diesel, regardless of the number of cylinders, was a "V" design engine.
Are you sure on that grader S/No? The 9K series Cat 12 was built in the U.S. between 1938 and 1945. AFAIK, there were no 9K Cat 12E graders shipped to Australia.

The reason for this, is twofold. In 1936, with the Japs having invaded Manchuria and making threatening noises towards the U.S. and its S.E. Asian allies, the U.S. Govt slapped an embargo on the export of U.S.-built motor graders to the S.E. Asian region. This area included Australia.
The reason for the embargo was some forward-thinking people in the U.S. Govt and the U.S. Military could see that motor graders would be a huge strategic asset to an enemy starting a War in the region in the near future (here's looking at you, Japan!).
So the aim of the embargo was to ensure that a heap of very useful motor graders, for constructing airfields and roads, could not fall into enemy hands, in the case of a War.

This decision caused a great deal of anxiety in Australia, as Australian councils were crying out for new motor graders, as well as contractors and other major Govt authorities such as Public Works Depts.
There was a general belief that a whole heap of graders in Australia wouldn't be likely to fall into Japanese hands, in the event of a War - and having new graders here was going to become important in the near future.

So Waugh & Josephson, the N.S.W. Caterpillar dealer, sent a deputation to Caterpillar, asking if they could build Cat graders in Australia under licence. W&J had a huge manufacturing facility capable of making all the components of a Cat 12 - except for the engine and transmission.

Caterpillar finally agreed to the deal, obviously seeing some advantages for them in it. So ... from 1936 to 1945, W&J built Cat graders. They built all of the grader, apart from the transmission and engine - and Cat shipped in new engines and transmissions to be fitted to the W&J Cat graders.
But the graders were not called Cat Auto Patrols (as the U.S. built graders were) - they were officially called the W&J Motor Patrol (or sometimes "Speed Patrol") grader, to distinguish them from the "genuine" Cat graders. But everyone "knew" they were simply Cat graders built in Australia.
The Serial Numbers allocated to the early W&J Motor Patrol graders were the Serial Numbers of the engines supplied - which are listed in the Cat S/No records as "Industrial Engines" starting with a S/No prefix of 2S5501, and listed as "Misc Engines".

When the new Cat 12 grader was released in late 1937, W&J soon got all the blueprints for that new grader, and started building W&J Cat 12's. W&J actually built an entire new and larger factory in 1940, especially aimed at increased Cat grader production.
W&J eventually built about 600 Cat graders (with 500 produced during the War), up until 1946 - when the "licence to build" was taken away from W&J, and given to Steelweld P/L. The Steelweld graders had a Cat S/No that started with "S" and were known as Steelweld Cat graders.

When WW2 kicked off for us in Sept 1939, the Australian Govt insisted that nearly all of the W&J Cat grader production be reserved for the Military. So W&J started supplying their Cat graders to the Australian Military Forces, as well as the councils. But many councils had to give up their Cat graders for military works - these machines were "impressed" into military projects.

A number of major arterial roads within Australia were upgraded from 1940 to 1943, using a lot of the W&J Cat graders, which had been allocated to the civilian work forces tasked with the road upgrades.
Two of the major arterial roads upgraded were the Barkly Highway and the Stuart Highway. The Stuart Highway was only called the "North-South Military Road" during WW2.
The civilian workforces used to build these major military roads were -

Department of the Interior
The Allied Works Council
The S.A. Highways Dept
The N.S.W. Dept of Main Roads
The Qld Main Roads Commission
The Country Road Boards organisation.

After America entered the War on Dec 7, 1941, and American ships and supplies started to turn up here in our Southern ports (Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney), a U.S. Army Engineer Battalion joined forces with the above groups to build many more airfields and roads. The Civil Construction Corps and the Civil Alien Corps provided a lot of the labour for many military projects.

Around 300 new airfields were built in Australia during WW2, with the Americans constructing the largest number of them, and the biggest and most strategic ones.
The Americans brought some construction equipment with them in early 1942 - D7's, D8's, Cat graders, and Carryalls - but they also relied on W&J supplying the vast majority of the Cat motor graders they used.

W&J Cat graders were also supplied to U.S. troops operating in the Islands chain to the NE and N of Australia - because it was deemed that due to a shortage of shipping from the U.S., and the risk of seaborne loss by U-boats - and delays caused by shipping times - that the U.S. forces would be far better served, acquiring as much equipment from Australia, as could be supplied.

Accordingly, the vast majority of the Cat graders used in Australia and the nearby Islands, during 1936 to 1946 were Australian-built W&J graders. AFAIK (and I stand to be corrected), no 9K S/No Cat 12 graders were ever built by W&J.

There is a possibility that the Americans left behind in Australia, at the Wars end, some number of Cat 12 9K graders that they had brought with them, in initial military cargo shipments (1942-1943).
These graders would have possibly been sold to the Australian Govt in the post-War, War Surplus settlement, that not only covered surplus Lend Lease equipment - but it also covered equipment that belonged to the U.S. forces, and which they had simply left behind, due to a lack of shipping after the War.

Virtually all of the engine-driven major U.S. military equipment items left here in Australia from the War, carry a "USN 7" stamp on or near the machine S/No.
These stamped letters/number indicates the item of equipment was the property of the U.S. Seventh Fleet, which owned a vast number of construction equipment items.
The U.S. Seventh Fleet was based in Brisbane, it was formed on 15th March 1943, and the Fleet was under the overall control of Gen Douglas MacArthur.

Gussoo007

Hey Ozdozer,
I brought this at auction and won't be able to verify it until later this week when, all going to plan, it is floated to me.

Attachments

• IMG-20230205-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20230205-WA0022.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 47

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Gus, that's a great photo of the S/No plate! The grader is definitely a U.S.-built Cat 12 grader that belonged to the U.S. Navys Seventh Fleet ("US7" stamp), and was obviously brought in as cargo on a U.S. ship carrying military supplies and troops, probably around mid-1942. I have seen "USN 7" stamped in the S/No plate as well. Note the "Made in the United States of America" stamped on the plate.

The exact date of manufacture is something I have never seen on any Cat S/No plate, and the date of April 13th 1942 jells with my S/No book, which states that 1942 Cat 12 grader production started at S/No 9K4034 and ended at 9K5229.
The grader would have been either left behind in Australia or recovered from a Pacific Island after the end of WW2. There were a number of marine salvagers who recovered quite a bit of badly-needed and valuable U.S. equipment after Wars end, that was abandoned on Islands such as the Solomon Islands (including Henderson Field), Truk Atoll (now Chuuk, Micronesia), Vanuatu, and even Bougainville Island and New Guinea.

If the grader was left behind in Australia at Wars end, it would have been sold by the Commonwealth Disposals Commission, which was tasked with the job of selling all the military surplus left in Australia between late 1946 and early 1950.

There was virtually no ship cargo space available to take equipment back to the U.S., in the approximately 12 mths after WW2 ended. Every square foot of shipping space was required to take millions of troops home!
Some of the troops didn't get home for more than 12 mths after WW2, and complete U.S. troop demobilisation didn't finish until June 30, 1947.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/points-system-us-armys-demobilization

Here's a couple of councils who bought military surplus Cat 12's from the CDC in 1947 ....

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/82365407

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/156410409

The Govt Works and Housing Dept purchased a pile of used military surplus equipment, including a Cat 12 grader, for the rebuilding of the Mackay aerodrome in 1947.
A lot of the military surplus, major earthmoving equipment, went straight to Govt Depts after the War.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/171099606

Here's a report from a NSW council, grumbling about the cost of repairs to a military surplus Cat 12, offered by the CDC. The grader had only done 1300 hrs, but it was in poor shape.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/136152411?searchTerm=Caterpillar 12 grader Disposals Commission

Last edited:

56wrench

Uh, Ozdozer, i hate to contradict you but what about the 4-53 inline? I worked on several in the old Oliver/Cockshutt ag tractors. In that application they were rated somewhere around 100hp +or-. They were available in other types of equipment also. They mostly used a VS governor and were quite easy to set compared to other DD governors

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Yep, my bad 56Wrench - I forgot all about the 2-53, 3-53 and 4-53 GM inline engines. Just put it down to increasing senility! :(

Like you, I'm certainly interested as to how they attached this GM Diesel to a Cat transmission housing!
There must be some intriguing modifications in that arrangement. Bit of a shame they scrapped the original engine, a Cat grader with a 2 stroke scream just wouldn't sound right!

Blue-Fox

Occupation
Oilfield Owner/Operator
Uh, Ozdozer, i hate to contradict you but what about the 4-53 inline? I worked on several in the old Oliver/Cockshutt ag tractors. In that application they were rated somewhere around 100hp +or-. They were available in other types of equipment also. They mostly used a VS governor and were quite easy to set compared to other DD governors
Yes I have several 2,3,4-53’s lying about in my yard of dead diesels. Many a Dowell / Halliburton / BJ - Gardner Denver pump, compressor or batch mixer would cry in disbelief that THEY have been forgotten!!

Blue-Fox

Occupation
Oilfield Owner/Operator
Yep, my bad 56Wrench - I forgot all about the 2-53, 3-53 and 4-53 GM inline engines. Just put it down to increasing senility! :(

Like you, I'm certainly interested as to how they attached this GM Diesel to a Cat transmission housing!
There must be some intriguing modifications in that arrangement. Bit of a shame they scrapped the original engine, a Cat grader with a 2 stroke scream just wouldn't sound right!

you really deserve some kudos for all that military knowledge. I really dig that stuff.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Well, here's an even bigger surprise. As I said previously, I have never encountered a 9K series Cat 12 grader in the nearly 6 decades I've been on, and owned earthmovers - but a few days ago, this unit turned up in a local auction yard.
It's U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, WW2 9K series grader - 9K6943 - and it proudly proclaims that it's USACE property, on a huge cast brass plate! The brass plate even records its military registration number!
I have a suspicion this grader (in the same, very poor condition) is the same one, that was lying under a tree in the auction yard, around 20 yrs ago! It laid there for many months, then it disappeared, so I presumed it got sold. If it's not the same one, it's the brother to it!

She's a real old warhorse, beaten and battered and driven into the ground. Every joint on it has so much slop, I doubt whether you could actually grade anything successfully with it. The steering linkages are all worn beyond belief. The engine doesn't run, so the buyer is basically getting yard art! I hate to think how much it would cost, to put it back into good operating condition.

I'd hazard a guess she arrived here without a cabin, and the current amateurish-looking cabin, has been fabricated by someone locally. It's lost it's original 9.00x25 front tyres and hubs, and it has had an upgrade to the later, bigger front tyres.

https://oa.sbauction.com.au/#!/auct...gs/8e6e5c71-7f07-4608-8d3c-d963bc2d664c?ic=48

thegraderguy

A GM 6-71 is an inline 6 - a GM 6V-53 is a V6. Every 53 series GM Diesel, regardless of the number of cylinders, was a "V" design engine.
Are you sure on that grader S/No? The 9K series Cat 12 was built in the U.S. between 1938 and 1945. AFAIK, there were no 9K Cat 12E graders shipped to Australia.

The reason for this, is twofold. In 1936, with the Japs having invaded Manchuria and making threatening noises towards the U.S. and its S.E. Asian allies, the U.S. Govt slapped an embargo on the export of U.S.-built motor graders to the S.E. Asian region. This area included Australia.
The reason for the embargo was some forward-thinking people in the U.S. Govt and the U.S. Military could see that motor graders would be a huge strategic asset to an enemy starting a War in the region in the near future (here's looking at you, Japan!).
So the aim of the embargo was to ensure that a heap of very useful motor graders, for constructing airfields and roads, could not fall into enemy hands, in the case of a War.

This decision caused a great deal of anxiety in Australia, as Australian councils were crying out for new motor graders, as well as contractors and other major Govt authorities such as Public Works Depts.
There was a general belief that a whole heap of graders in Australia wouldn't be likely to fall into Japanese hands, in the event of a War - and having new graders here was going to become important in the near future.

So Waugh & Josephson, the N.S.W. Caterpillar dealer, sent a deputation to Caterpillar, asking if they could build Cat graders in Australia under licence. W&J had a huge manufacturing facility capable of making all the components of a Cat 12 - except for the engine and transmission.

Caterpillar finally agreed to the deal, obviously seeing some advantages for them in it. So ... from 1936 to 1945, W&J built Cat graders. They built all of the grader, apart from the transmission and engine - and Cat shipped in new engines and transmissions to be fitted to the W&J Cat graders.
But the graders were not called Cat Auto Patrols (as the U.S. built graders were) - they were officially called the W&J Motor Patrol (or sometimes "Speed Patrol") grader, to distinguish them from the "genuine" Cat graders. But everyone "knew" they were simply Cat graders built in Australia.
The Serial Numbers allocated to the early W&J Motor Patrol graders were the Serial Numbers of the engines supplied - which are listed in the Cat S/No records as "Industrial Engines" starting with a S/No prefix of 2S5501, and listed as "Misc Engines".

When the new Cat 12 grader was released in late 1937, W&J soon got all the blueprints for that new grader, and started building W&J Cat 12's. W&J actually built an entire new and larger factory in 1940, especially aimed at increased Cat grader production.
W&J eventually built about 600 Cat graders (with 500 produced during the War), up until 1946 - when the "licence to build" was taken away from W&J, and given to Steelweld P/L. The Steelweld graders had a Cat S/No that started with "S" and were known as Steelweld Cat graders.

When WW2 kicked off for us in Sept 1939, the Australian Govt insisted that nearly all of the W&J Cat grader production be reserved for the Military. So W&J started supplying their Cat graders to the Australian Military Forces, as well as the councils. But many councils had to give up their Cat graders for military works - these machines were "impressed" into military projects.

A number of major arterial roads within Australia were upgraded from 1940 to 1943, using a lot of the W&J Cat graders, which had been allocated to the civilian work forces tasked with the road upgrades.
Two of the major arterial roads upgraded were the Barkly Highway and the Stuart Highway. The Stuart Highway was only called the "North-South Military Road" during WW2.
The civilian workforces used to build these major military roads were -

Department of the Interior
The Allied Works Council
The S.A. Highways Dept
The N.S.W. Dept of Main Roads
The Qld Main Roads Commission
The Country Road Boards organisation.

After America entered the War on Dec 7, 1941, and American ships and supplies started to turn up here in our Southern ports (Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney), a U.S. Army Engineer Battalion joined forces with the above groups to build many more airfields and roads. The Civil Construction Corps and the Civil Alien Corps provided a lot of the labour for many military projects.

Around 300 new airfields were built in Australia during WW2, with the Americans constructing the largest number of them, and the biggest and most strategic ones.
The Americans brought some construction equipment with them in early 1942 - D7's, D8's, Cat graders, and Carryalls - but they also relied on W&J supplying the vast majority of the Cat motor graders they used.

W&J Cat graders were also supplied to U.S. troops operating in the Islands chain to the NE and N of Australia - because it was deemed that due to a shortage of shipping from the U.S., and the risk of seaborne loss by U-boats - and delays caused by shipping times - that the U.S. forces would be far better served, acquiring as much equipment from Australia, as could be supplied.

Accordingly, the vast majority of the Cat graders used in Australia and the nearby Islands, during 1936 to 1946 were Australian-built W&J graders. AFAIK (and I stand to be corrected), no 9K S/No Cat 12 graders were ever built by W&J.

There is a possibility that the Americans left behind in Australia, at the Wars end, some number of Cat 12 9K graders that they had brought with them, in initial military cargo shipments (1942-1943).
These graders would have possibly been sold to the Australian Govt in the post-War, War Surplus settlement, that not only covered surplus Lend Lease equipment - but it also covered equipment that belonged to the U.S. forces, and which they had simply left behind, due to a lack of shipping after the War.

Virtually all of the engine-driven major U.S. military equipment items left here in Australia from the War, carry a "USN 7" stamp on or near the machine S/No.
These stamped letters/number indicates the item of equipment was the property of the U.S. Seventh Fleet, which owned a vast number of construction equipment items.
The U.S. Seventh Fleet was based in Brisbane, it was formed on 15th March 1943, and the Fleet was under the overall control of Gen Douglas MacArthur.
Just a note, Detroit made a 4-53 engine that was inline, not a v configuration. I have seen many of them. I am pretty sure that also made an in line 3-53. AFAIK the 53 and 71 merely indicate the cu inch displacement. A “V” in the model indicates V configuration. Very interesting information, thank you!!

skyking1

A great thread OzDozer... Thanks.
No kidding, what a great couple of posts. @OzDozer really took me back. I had missed this thread.
My dad was in the 4th Marine Division, and he may have crossed paths in some way with those graders.

History of the 4th Marines below:
https://www.marines.mil/Portals/1/P...ine Division 1943-2000 PCN 19000306300_1.pdf

He came back from the war and his fist job was learning the construction trade as a powder monkey/driller in the central Oregon Cascades.

Evo1959

I have just got home my 1944 Caterpillar No12 serial no. 9K9378 stamped US Army! Trying to confirm if it would have originally been painted army green or Cat yellow? It has a cabin not sure if Aussie built addition?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Evo, have you got any photos? My book says 9K9378 is 1945 year of build.

Nearly all Wartime production of Cats was painted Olive Drab, because it was all destined for military use and it was virtually impossible to acquire a Cat for civilian purposes, in the period from early 1942, after the U.S. entered the War up - until mid-1944.

After mid-1944, the rules were relaxed and both equipment and trucks were released to civilian purchasers (especially farmers) as they clamoured for new equipment that they hadn't been able to acquire for close on 3 years.

If they were producing food and goods for the War effort, they got priority in supply of new equipment and trucks.

If you go under the machine and find a recess that hasn't been exposed to wear or the weather and scrape off the layers of paint, you should be able to find the original coat of paint. Olive Drab stands out quite readily, if original.

Evo1959

Hi OzDozer thanks will try to find any other colour but yellow but it really looks like unlikely. Can you tell if cabin was Aussie made and fitted here or original build?IMG_4528.jpeg

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Yes, it does appear as if the colour has been Cat yellow from the factory. I would've expected to see some Olive Drab where the yellow paint is missing. All military machines were Olive Drab from the factory, I don't think there were any exceptions.

However, it could have been sandblasted at some time for a repaint, which would have removed the majority of the Olive Drab paint.
That's why I said to find a recessed area where any sandblaster might have missed, to find the original paint.

The cabin is not factory build, it's been fabricated quite neatly by someone locally who had good steel fabrication skills, but it doesn't follow any Cat pattern.

I'm interested to find out if the engine serial number is the same as the grader. If the engine S/No starts with 2S prefix, the grader was built by Waugh & Josephson in N.S.W.
If the engine has the same S/No as the grader (9K9378), then it was built by Cat in the U.S.

Waugh & Josephson built around 600 Cat Auto Patrol and Cat 12 graders between 1936 and 1946, when Cat gave a licence to built Cat products to Steelweld P/L.
W & J built all of the grader, except for the engine and transmission, which were built by Cat in the U.S. and sent here for installation into the W & J graders.

This agreement with W & J to build Cat graders came about because the U.S. Govt slapped an embargo on shipping equipment that was capable of building airstrips, to S.E. Asia, in 1936, when Japan was posing a major threat for War.
Many Australian Shire Councils, Road Boards, other Govt entities, and private contractors wanted new Cat graders, but couldn't buy them after the embargo was introduced - because Australia was in the declared zone for potential military aggression by Japan.

So W & J went to Cat and asked for a licence to build graders for the local market - and the military.
Cat agreed, and nearly all W & J grader production went to the military after WW2 started for us, in Sept 1939.
The American forces took the vast majority of the W & J Cat graders between 1942 and late 1944, because Cat was not only struggling to keep up grader production, there was a major shortage of shipping available to ship new Cat graders to Australia, as well as long shipping delays, and a major risk of losses to enemy action (U-boats and German raiders).

A photo of the plate that identifies the grader as U.S. Army would be handy to have.
Some of the U.S. Engineer forces brought U.S.-built Cat graders with them when they landed in Australia, but this was mostly around 1942.

The Americans initially had to land at all our Southern and Eastern ports such as Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, because the Japs controlled all the Northern waters in early 1942 - and then they had to make their way North to build all the necessary airstrips and roads to support the War effort.

From the North of Australia, a lot of U.S. Engineer and Naval forces went further North and North East to the Islands such as Papua New Guinea, Bougainville, the Solomons, and Vanuatu.

Some of the U.S. engineer equipment was simply abandoned on these islands and recovered by Australian salvagers after WW2 ended. Graders and dozers were in high demand in Australia after WW2, and they brought big money.

Evo1959

Unbelievable knowledge OzDozer very thankful for the time you are putting in for me! Engine has a plate with 2S6852IMG_4564.jpeg as per attached photos. From what you have said probably has always been Cat IMG_4569.jpegyellow but will look further. Is it a W & J roof design or after market? Not sure whether to fix roof or remove back to Cat standard no cabin.