• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case W series wheel loaders

cat320

Charter Member
Well the army/national gaurd just refurbished all there w20's if that says anything but these are like the internationals/hough you sit on the front half of the articulation and not the in the rear. I think they are ok for what they are don't think you could compair them to a new machine but they will get the job done in my opinion.

Turbo21835

It depends what you are looking to do with them. Production machine? Or snow removal, park it by a pile and let truck drivers load themselves out? I know in this area you are hard pressed to find a case machine in the summer. They are parked back in the sand pits, or by piles of dirt. That way a trucking company can dispatch a truck to the nearest material. The driver loads himself out. Now this time of year you start to see them come out of the woodwork. Its getting to be snow removal time of the year and these machines will migrate to parking lots.

There not bad machines. But that being said, dont expect the world out of them. After all, they are older machines.

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
I ran a Case W11 wheel loader for years. It was a good strong machine, a little rough on the road ( no suspension seat) but it was good for 40 km . it had a 1 yard bucket, and I think it would reach up to 11 feet to load a semi trailer. we had some problems with no brakes, till we found out it was from the lowbed guys, chaining over the axels and pinching off the brake lines. the other problem we the lower center pin, it would never take grease, and wear ou in a season. we change that to a large bolt and a bushing that was changed in the spring as preventitive maint.

It never sat much, it was the perfect size for snow removal, in small lots, driveways and tight areas and I used it to finish base for asphalt and excavation. I always thought it would be a good little machine to have on the farm, but could never find one cheep enough for me

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
great snow tractors but i get motion sick running them due to the swing of the cab.

fendtman

what year was your machine

wondering if much change over the years of them. how is parts availabity and cost? thanks for reply

zlssefi

I own an 86 case w-20B, bought it for 18,000 about 6 years ago, redid the motor once and has made money back and then some. Other than poor cold starting ability, i love the machine. Parts are VERY readily available at reasonable prices too. The heat in these machines will have you working in a t shirt in no time. As far as road speed, they do go well over the road, id bet mine is up around 20 miles perhour or so. My machine works a small freight terminal with a 12 foot snow pusher, i think a snowbucket would be a little better for scraping, but overall its a superb machine.

Tropicana66

Occupation
College and farm
I have a 87 W14B. It's used on the farm, and we are fairly hard on it. You would be surprised at what it can do with a little patience. They like to hop when driving fast, may be just from loose pins. My experience parts are available but not always cheap but that goes for all equipment in my opinion anymore. Case wanted 2k+ for a radiator. The B has the 6 cyl. motor and is a perfect match Imo.

woodee955

I ran W-14's in the military for 8 years. We had an '88 and 2 '90's. Very basic in the cab, like plowking said a seat on a pole was all you got. They did pretty well power wise and this was after being abused for years. If the cabs were better I'd rather have them then the JCB's we have now.

fendtman

Case W11 1990 with 2200 hours on it?

what is it worth. what size cummins engine does it have. has bucket and forkets

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
I found this one on the equipment trader website:

http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5941307&GUID=FEE6081A77A34E5AB331ECD3000C6A2D

(Hope the like works)
The w11 that I ran I think had about 70 hp and had a J.I. Case engine.
A rough little machine on the road, but would do 40 Km/h and had the power to doze right through a Tandem load of gravel. It would keep you Hot in the winter plowing snow, and hotter in the summer placing base. The doors were removable to help keep you cool.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I ran a W20 for years.The only thing that I didn't like about it was the articulation.It had oversize rubber on it for extra height to load trucks and the only real trouble with it was front axle seals occasionally.It seems that the differentials were made in England and could be tough to get parts for.It was a very capable machine but I will never know what the engineers at Case and Hough were thinking with that configuration for steering.
It was a lot more work to run because of it to say nothing of the heart attacks you get from seeing that engine nacelle sneaking up on you out of the corner of your eye.Ron G

candor

Hi ,

By the way I have a case W24B loader. Some people that my machine lacks power. For me this machine is an old model and seems for me normal. The thing is when I engage first gear, I have to rev the engine to make it move from a stop and on flad position. According to your experience with this model, could please clear me. I am suspecting the torque converter. Its case engine is good.
Thanks,

zlssefi

i would guess your transmission charge pump may be damaged/weak. im going through this on my terex right now.... make sure your trans fluid is up to the proper level and your inline filter isnt dirty or clogged.

candor

Hi,
The trans fluid is at the right level, was checked with engine running.
The trans filter is ok too. But the trans charge pump, that's I don't know.
My question is How do I tell the charge pump is bad, I mean what are the symptoms! Or I just take a chance and open It.

Thanks,

zlssefi

pressure fittings

There should be some quick connect fittings that you can plumb a guage into and to what they call a stall test which will check your converter. There should be more to check your charge pressure. Ill have to flip through my manual to see where abouts these are and ill try to describe it on here, maybe someone with a few online manuals can chime in here??

Just picked up a 1981? w20c open cab for $7500 delivered, engine and tranny seem to be in great shape, the brakes are in nees of a full rebuild, my question is anyone have experience rebuilding brake trundle, calipers, did they hold up? Can the rotors be turned? If so what is the min thickness? Also needs a seat, gauge cluster, lights, front fenders anyone know a good source for used stuff? Oh yeah also want to paint it, best place to buy paint?
Any help would be great.
Thanks