• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE TCH Fluid

PAwrestling#1

I know there has been many discussions on this but can someone tell me what is the equivalent of this fluid? If I go to tractor supply or NAPA or Auto Zone what type of fluid do I ask for? I know ive tried asking them Case TCH equiv. and they give me the deer in headlight look? Right now I need to add to my power steering pump which book calls for this type. Also I think Ive been running wrong fluid in my Mech. shuttle because it calls for 2 qts of TCH in this also, and I have 80/90 gear oil?? Can someone please enlighten me on what I need for this. No close CASE dealer around me and I wanna get it running today. Thanks..

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
What case machine do you have? All Case manual shuttles use HTU presently. TCH is a light grade oil and the early manuals will tell you that you can use an ATF equivalent oil such as Dexron as an alternative, Certainly that would be more desirable tha 80/90 weight stuff. If you had an integral hydraulic system in the torque tube I doubt you would have got away with it. In Case's recommendations in most every application HTU replaces TCH.

Nobody is joing to go out and buy HTU just because I say to but I don't know which alternative oils have the antifoaming and lubricity properties of HTU and I am convinced that it is as good an oil for there applications because of years both of looking at years of use in our shop and seeing the results of inferior oil in wear of hardware and lack of hydraulic performance.

Please recheck the oil capacity of your shuttle, The earlier shuttles used over 10 quarts maybe 12 -14, the mechanical shuttle 580 C's take less.

Last edited:

Randy88

Hytran is an acceptable alternative to tch in most applications except in case dozer transmissions, those don't recommend a change of any sort, only tch. If your dealing with a fleet farm store ask for universal hydraulic transmission oil of some sort. I'm not familiar with a shuttle on those backhoes what they call for, maybe someone who has one will chime in.

Shimmy1

Hytran is an acceptable alternative to tch in most applications except in case dozer transmissions, those don't recommend a change of any sort, only tch.

Zombie thread alert. Randy, why exactly is Hytran not recommended in dozer transmissions? After reading a little deeper tonight, it appears that TCH is still available, it's just around here the dealers avoid it like the plague. I put Hytran Ultra in my 1150 a couple years ago, trans still works good but if it's not preferable I don't want to be using it. Maybe the new "Ultra-action" is now an acceptable substitute?

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I use a New Holland/AGCO fluid called 821 Transmission Fluid, very Similar, carries similar grading and works in either.

Randy88

First off, its been a few years since I asked, but at that time, anything still under warranty used in dozers, the use of Hytran would void the warranty, they'd test the oil to make sure nothing but TCH was in the transmission, I'm not sure, but I don't think its changed any, but you'd have to ask Case.

Next you'd have to believe Case and those doing their testing, but the claim was, Hytran over time would cause the clutch disc's to shed the material off prematurely I guess is the jest of it, and cause transmission issues before the warranty was off, and in that case if Hytran was present, the customer paid the entire bill and there was no warranty.

Now if the warranty was off, pretty much do as you wish, nobody cares at that point, there is nobody to argue with over any bill, the customer pays it all anyhow.

I've been on both sides of this argument, not on new machines, but rebuilt transmissions that were under warranty and did have issues before the parts and labor warranty was up, to have found someone dumped hytran into the transmission at some point, [just a note, hytran can be used in the hydraulics of case dozers, but not the transmissions] and since they are seperate, but both had hytran in them, my warranty was void and I paid the entire bill. Now that aside, what caused the issue on my dozer, personally I felt it was bad/cheap/crappy/covered up components that were put in during the rebuild, but unable to prove. Now that stated, I've used plenty of other fluids in my dozer transmissions over the years since and other than operator abuse and neglect we've had no issues in many thousands of hours of use, and ironically the clutch discs they put back in at the time of the second rebuild were not the same as those taken out with less than a years use on them and failed. You draw your own conclusions, I never got anywhere arguing, but it was pointed out in writing stating TCH was the only approved fluid in dozer transmissions up to that date, and for many years afterwards as well, again, not sure on the latest models since I don't own anything newer that the E's and H's.

So what's the issue.....................you'll have to figure it out for yourself, unless you've had a very recent transmission rebuild and its still under warranty, [if that even exists anymore] I'm not sure its an issue, I've also noticed the disc's themselves have changed over the years and its supposed to also have something to do with how often you change the fluid and how much moisture is in the oil and a host of other issues. But I do know, additive packages are far different between oil makers, so the hytran, case's version has different additives than deeres version, vs farm fleets version and so on. How well do they play together once mixed and what issues they cause is a whole argument in its own. Some feel the fiber disc's were the issue, some the oil, some claimed it was the TCH itself that was the issue, some felt Hytran's formulation [which has changed in the last three decades] is to blame, so it gets down to, believe who you want. Myself, once the warranty is off, we try to only use one brand of oil in the whole machine, transmission, hydraulics and even engine and if we switch brands, all the fluids get changed and we write on the machine, it now has this brand in it and this viscosity in each component to help save issues down the road somewhat and try to use oil sampling to determine high contaminate levels or water levels to determine change intervals.

At one time we had a lot of case dozers in my area, anything smaller, case had the market share and this was a hot topic for decades, everyone had their own ideas and those they believed and would argue to the death, today, those machines are so old by standards, the numbers are still out there, but you don't hear the issues anymore so much. Now is that due to better components, better oil, less hours of use each year per machine, lower cost to repair the older dozers verses newer dozers, better aftermarket parts, better OEM parts or the fact, most anyone can fix those dozers themselves so its not talked about like it was before??
30 years ago a 20,000 dollar transmission rebuild was a huge deal, today, it probably wouldn't even raise an eyebrow compared to what everything else costs.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Hytrans only degraded organic materials, later cintered bronze and metallic lined plates no effect, have not seen organic material discs in a Long Time.

Shimmy1

First off, its been a few years since I asked, but at that time, anything still under warranty used in dozers, the use of Hytran would void the warranty, they'd test the oil to make sure nothing but TCH was in the transmission, I'm not sure, but I don't think its changed any, but you'd have to ask Case.

30 years ago a 20,000 dollar transmission rebuild was a huge deal, today, it probably wouldn't even raise an eyebrow compared to what everything else costs.

The reason for this post is this: I have a machine that I know for certain was built in 1998, has the original transmission, and was intended to have TCH fluid. Based on what a lot of you guys, especially @Randy88, have said, HyTran is NOT ACCEPTABLE as an oil for a Case dozer transmission. Now, I do not want to reinvent the wheel here, but I do NOT want to cause this transmission to fail, especially since Case has so graciously decided to stop providing parts for me to rebuild said transmission if it does. What I want to know is if the current formula for Hytran, i.e. Hytran Ultraction , has ever been officially labelled as "acceptable" by Case for dozer transmissions, since they have attempted to push TCH fluid into a grave.

Randy, I appreciate your detailed response, but what I really need to know is if Hytran is not good enough, what did you use that you knew was? Thanks.

Welder Dave

I use a New Holland/AGCO fluid called 821 Transmission Fluid, very Similar, carries similar grading and works in either.

I only use it in an MF tractor but the MF/Agco Perma-Tran 821XL is good stuff. I've tried other fluids but the OEM seems to work the best in my experience.

Randy88

Shimmy you have to remember a few things before I answer the question the best I can. First I got blindsided by this whole thing from the git go, I never saw any of it coming and had not done anything to sample the machine before it went in for shifting issues either time. I figured I bought a used machine, with no history so to speak, things just happened and my time for issues came up, so I believed what I was told, the fluid was to blame for the problem the first time. The second time in such a short period of time, I just figured it was an adjustment issue or something simple when it went in, I never thought in a million years the same thing could happen so fast in such a short time, again without any sampling done, heck for that matter not even sure I'd hardly changed engine oil since it got out of the shop from the rebuild. I had nothing to argue with for data or documentation, so I paid parts and labor on round two as well.

To answer your question, I'd ask Case if Hytan today is an acceptable fluid for your dozer transmissions, then I'd demand to see it in writing, if they couldn't provide it in writing??

What I did was pretty much walk away and sought answers elsewhere after the dozer was paid for and back home. I went to a reputable oil supplier and asked them, I also demanded my old parts back, all of them before I paid the second bill so I had something to show the oil supplier. He claimed it was one of two options, either bad disc's and parts put in or an oil issue of some sort, his thoughts were the TCH itself was part of the problem, along with the parts used, but really its anyone's guess. I've been inside all my dozers transmissions over the years for various reason's, I always inspect the components inside them before we put them back together. I've used about four different brands of oil in my machines over the years, none of which is branded case. I'm not partial to any one brand so to speak, some dealers have come and gone [how dare they die on me over the years] and to this day, I've not had any repeat issues of transmission problems, but I also drain the machines when I go to switching brands of fluid, not sure its necessary or not, but I figured its one less thing to think about. I feel if you buy somewhat quality fluid, it really doesn't matter that much, Case, Deere, Cat or whoever doesn't make any of their own fluid anyhow, its all bid to speck anyhow and whoever put out the lowball bid is going to package their fluid and lubes anyhow.

I'm not sure who the independent oil dealers are in your area or if you even like any of them or have any history with any of them, but I don't buy OEM fluid from any of the brands, [I also don't have any machine still under warranty]. But I'd go to a few of those independents and get an answer from them as to what you should use and if it were me, I'd listen to them and buy some oil from them to put in your machines. I also don't take any of my machines in for work, we do it all ourselves, from engine rebuilds, transmissions, torque converters, finals you name it, nothing is done through OEM's anymore. It gives me more control over what we find [in terms of determining what went wrong] to also save costs and have more control over what parts we put back in.

The answer I'd have given you 15 years ago would be far different than the one I gave you today, this thread dates back to almost nine years ago now, since this tread I've been inside a few more dozer transmissions and my opinion has changed somewhat to what it is today. I'm not a fan of Hytran or TCH by any means, don't think you could give my any Case, Deere or Cat fluid, that's not to say what I use is any better or worse, but I know who puts their name on it and only they make it, its not repackaged or rebranded or bought off the low bid type deal by whoever wants to low bid it this week, month or year.

I have no clue if the current formulation of Hytran is considered acceptable for your model of dozer, I've honestly not asked Case that question since I took my dozer out of their shop that last time, but I can tell you this much, I'd been given it in writing it wasn't an approved at that time, but the neighboring Case dealer was highly recommending it was a direct and approved replacement for TCH, two dealerships for Case 40 miles apart, you decide.

Ken Miller

Have 1969 Case 580 CK that calls for CASE TCH hydraulic oil or equivalent - following this thread I still don't know the answer to what's ok/similar. NAPA say AW 32? Farm Store says Coastal Mulitrac Tractor Fluid is equivalent? Does it really make a difference now that way past warranty?

Welder Dave

Why not just get the stuff from Case if you're not sure? TCH is not the same as straight hyd. oil. I'd say the Coastal is closer but look on the label and see if lists a Case spec. I'd guess it probably does.

Nhshaun

Occupation
Carpenter
It sounds like TCH or equivalent is essential for the torque tube/transmission fluid. A lot of people across the internet are saying it isn't so important if only used in the hydraulic system for the FEL and Backhoe. I have been using Iso46 in my 69 580ck for that since the guy i bought it from was using that already. Am i going to blow anything up or should i be fine?