• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case, Tak, or Kubota mini?? Which one??

BIAVAEX

Considering trading my 580sl backhoe for a 8-10k mini-ex. I'm already tired of repairing the ruts left by my backhoe. Spent approx 3 extra hours on a foundation fixing ruts on my finish grade left from the backhoe on softer ground. Now I realize the Mini-ex still has some weight behind it but it is less and the tracks help dispurse that.

Case: cx36b or cx50b
Tak:tb135 or tb145
Kubota: kx121 or kx161
We focus mainly on crawlspace foundations, septics, tile etc
all opinions appreciated
Thanks

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Considering trading my 580sl backhoe for a 8-10k mini-ex. I'm already tired of repairing the ruts left by my backhoe. Spent approx 3 extra hours on a foundation fixing ruts on my finish grade left from the backhoe on softer ground. Now I realize the Mini-ex still has some weight behind it but it is less and the tracks help dispurse that.

Case: cx36b or cx50b
Tak:tb135 or tb145
Kubota: kx121 or kx161
We focus mainly on crawlspace foundations, septics, tile etc
all opinions appreciated
Thanks

The B series Case mini excavators perform very well. Very nice control system. They spec right up with TK and Kubota. If you like running CASE I would demo one. I have a TB153FR (TK) and I really it as well. I think it is superior to the 145, I would try and demo one of these as well. The zero turn/spin is excellent. Much more adaptive than the conv. tail of the 145.

I would not even consider going with less than a 10K machine. These machines will be comparable to what your used to with your 580.

I have never run a Kubota, but those that have them speak highly of them.

coopers

I have never run a Kubota, but those that have them speak highly of them.

I'm one of them.:drinkup They're great machines. I have not run Case or Tak but hear a lot of good things about Tak. Not too many Case mini's around here. I feel Kubota has good power and smooth controls. I do wish they had better selection of ZTS machines with long sticks. The ones they have seem disproportionate in the stick/boom design but I have yet to closely examine the new ZTS that came out.

xcmark

Occupation
construction
you also may want to look at Komatsu and Yanmar , in the 10,000 range every machine listed at this point is very high quality and last a long time. A buddie of mine just sold a 331 bobcat with 8500 hrs on it , it was very well taken care of and it was run by a small group of operators the entire time. started right up very little smoke and still had good hydrolic power . Dont know how much was repaired in that time but he picked up a PC 120 at the same time and the same company and that has 12,000 hour on it same thing starts good and works good and they are both dry under !

Allgood

You named my top 3. Out of those I opted for the Tak TB145. I have no need for a zero tail and have been well pleased with my unit for 2700 hours. After going through a bunch of brush I lost 2nd speed, so I assume I pulled a wire off somewhere but haven't had time to look. It's no speedster either way. I just dug a 1/4 acre pond about 15 feet deep. Dang if that didn't seem like a lot of digging. I found it was faster to only dig about 5 or 6 feet at a time rather than making 10' deep digs. It seemed to take a long time between cycles of coming from 10' deep to over the rail of about an 9' sidewall dump truck. I suppose that only makes sense when I think that I'm lifting a completely full bucket 19' each cycle. You live and learn. I'm used to running one with about a 40' stick and 6' bucket. There again, it wasn't mine and you can't haul it with a 1 ton dually.

jw3

Occupation
Plumber
I have the Kubota KX 121. I have enjoyed it since day one. I am a plumbing contractor by trade so it is used for trenching on a very regular basis. If you have been running a 580 Case the Kubota isn't nearly as stout so it will take some getting used to as far as power levels go.

rockbreaker2

I would chose the Case they are made by Kobelco and I have never had any trouble with my Kobelco sk50ur-2 I also have a Komatsu pc58uu-3 that is also very good but the Kobelo is stronger both machines have the main boom mounted in the middle of the machine like a full sized excavator which makes a huge difference when loading trucks or lifting heavy objects.

I love my kubota 121-3. Obviously the 161 is more powerful and faster. Ive run taks before mostly smaller ones 6000lb max. not bad machines. The dealer I bought my kubota from also sells case minis and they dont keep many of them in stock or rent too many of them. The kubotas nice and fast and alot better for ground control and maintainance like your looking for. I do alot of cemetery work and was more than exstatic to go to a track machine over my rubber tire ford 575d. The power difference is obviously a huge difference but I can do as much work in the same amount of time with the mini due to the maneuverability and it being alot quicker. In the cemetery business its nice being able to swing 360 degrees versus the 180 max from a backhoe. I love my Kubota and got it for a very good price and the thing is a work horse. Ive also run kobelcos and yanmars and for my money I like the kubota.

yanmarman

Occupation
union ironworker
YANMAR man YANMAR is the best! kubota are you nuts,there tractors have alumin housing when a bearing goes out its done for! Most excavators have Yanmar engines They kept john deere in bussiness and now cub going to yanmar

Kubota uses all thier own engines as well and supply alot of other makers their engines. In my experience yanmars arent too strong. Had issues with the bucket, thumb and part of the stick that were all bent on a job site using the thumb and it bent and ripped the thumb off as well as the bucket pins and some of the stick itself. I'm sure some opperator error may have been involved but all the guy was doing was moving I beams none of which were too heavy for the machine. So I havent had too many good experiences with yanmars.

Hendrik

Kubota uses all thier own engines as well and supply alot of other makers their engines. In my experience yanmars arent too strong. Had issues with the bucket, thumb and part of the stick that were all bent on a job site using the thumb and it bent and ripped the thumb off as well as the bucket pins and some of the stick itself. I'm sure some opperator error may have been involved but all the guy was doing was moving I beams none of which were too heavy for the machine. So I havent had too many good experiences with yanmars.
When using a thumb you have center the load, otherwise the twisting force will bend things, real quick.

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
PARTS & SERVICE MGR. AMOUNG OTHER HATS @ KOBELCO D
Kobelco would be an excellent choice,
as someone mentioned above...the Case is a Kobelco anyway!
for at least the past 5 years or so both the Case mini's and all the New Holland excavators have been built by Kobelco.
other than the paint & decals it is 100% Kobelco.

yanmarman

Occupation
union ironworker
dig it inc. i;m sure with enough abuse any machine will break i don;t let anyone else but me run excavator

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The Kobelco mini has what I believe to be the best control system put in a mini ex (IHI's control system would neck and neck with the Kobelco in my opinion). I will demo a 55 when I replace my TB153FR. I was glad to see that they are competing in that weight class. After studying the specs, I wish they made more aux. flow. Mr Kobelco do you know if you can combine the flows on that excavator to increase its aux. gpm?