• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case SR160 won't run

strykerakamack

Ok was getting OPRPR code occasionally with the lap bar being the problem not too bad as had like a 15 second delay
before machine would stop but not shut off .
Then I get OPRPR with immediate engine cut off .( this was due to seat switch )
Replaced both , closed machine back up lowered lift arms , regen came up let it run for its cycle and shut it down .
Now when went to restart it went thru normal prestart beeps as usual , started up than ran for 15 seconds and shut down .
Im now getting codes 3659 , 9153 ,1051
Now in book these codes relate to the can bus system and high voltage .
the battery has 12.6 volts .
Any ideas where to start looking ?????
And can cab be tilted forward with the arms down ?
Can't see how replacing two switches leads to a can bus failure
Thanks in advance for any help

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Cab can't be tilted with arms down. Best way is take lines off lift cylinders and use a shop crane or another machine to lift arms. 2 codes seem to point to the ECU, get the cab up and check connections at ECU and UCM. If I remember the main harness is on the left side down near your feet we had a few issues with wires being pinched or broken where this main harness runs back it is a tight turn.

strykerakamack

Kinda figured cab a no go with arms down after looking more closely .
Can the red release lowering valve be held open and lift arms be raised ?
Went and wiggled all the wires got machine to run for about 2 minutes then went to move it to its normal parking spot ...... came up 2 foot short :0
then it shut down only one code thrown 3659 , now book shows two different engine types for code 3659, FHS or ISM-IDI .
How do I figure out which engine is in my machine ??
Thanks

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Pulling that red release lowering valve doesn't work to raise. Better and faster to remove lines. Your machine should be ISM. Wiggled harness and it worked I suspect you have a bad wire/wires somewhere. Cut the harness open and check the wires I'd bet you have broken or rubbed wires.

strykerakamack

Ok Pulled harness on left pillar off , one purple wire seemed bad so spliced in a new section and one wire down by the floor was worn thru that was next to a ground block fixed that too.
So still no joy fired and ran for 15 seconds and died .
only one code 3659 which is a ECU "battery voltage high" code which gives :
1. The alternator has failed. 2. The wiring harness has failed. 3. The battery has failed. 4. The ECU has an internal failure
Ok So first thing was check alternator , that showed 14.1 running
battery at rest was 12.3 So I pulled that at ran load tester ...... Failure replace battery it says
Ok New battery installed , passed load test prior to install ...... Engine Quit again still code 3659
Now manual says check wires from battery to alternator and battery to ECU .
can't get good look at that as radiator in way and cab is closed .
So at this point it's still a mystery
Now is there a way to "clear" the codes yourself ? or is that a dealer only "plug in their tool to do it ?
Mobile service is $130 an hour plus $3 per mile to get here from case dealer .
Just seems weird hitting the trifecta with lap sensor and seat sensor then battery .
Did the battery cause it all ? ECU cause it ?